Ginger bottle but thumbprint ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Eneey

Reaction score
I know this is a ginger beer bottle. I’ve looked at a lot of bottles and this mark is not on any of them. Perhaps this mark is the makers thumbprint, when he put it in to glaze? Interesting I think. Does it devalue the bottle of make it one of a kind?

Attachments

• 45162108-4EFB-478D-AE02-F7C7B9AA8AB2.jpeg
    45162108-4EFB-478D-AE02-F7C7B9AA8AB2.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 85

Johnny M

Reaction score
I know this is a ginger beer bottle. I’ve looked at a lot of bottles and this mark is not on any of them. Perhaps this mark is the makers thumbprint, when he put it in to glaze? Interesting I think. Does it devalue the bottle of make it one of a kind?
Pretty cool! Sure could be a thumb . I saw an Albany brown slip jug once with a near perfect 5 finger hand and palm print in the glaze. Intentionally made or was left when the piece was pushed into the kiln for a final firing after brushing on the thick, sticky chocolate colored glaze. No doubt what it was. Hand was very small too like a very young boy perhaps was working in the stoneware factory. There were few or no laws about kids working in factories in the 1800s.

Eneey

Reaction score
Pretty cool! Sure could be a thumb . I saw an Albany brown slip jug once with a near perfect 5 finger hand and palm print in the glaze. Intentionally made or was left when the piece was pushed into the kiln for a final firing after brushing on the thick, sticky chocolate colored glaze. No doubt what it was. Hand was very small too like a very young boy perhaps was working in the stoneware factory. There were few or no laws about kids working in factories in the 1800s.
Thanks! I was intrigued by it and when you pick it up, your thumb fits very naturally in and at that spot on the bottle. Love interesting things like this, so thanks again for sharing!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Wow, that is incredible. Just imagine whose print that is. I've seen quite a few stoneware beers selling at flea markets in my area but I've never seen anything in comparison to this.

Eneey

Reaction score
Thanks. I think it’s pretty cool I like trying to imagine what he was doing to make the indentation. He was left handed I know that! My thumb fits perfectly for a south paw!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado