Gini - Bitter Lemon by Pure Springs flat top can

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
found this yesterday at the same area I found the Fanta cans the other day , never seen this one before in a can . fair amount of colour left , some rust spots , hole in bottom

its a flat top can so assuming its from the early 70's , Gini is a lemon drink more typically associated with Europe . however it was bottled in Canada in the 70's in Ottawa Ontario by Pure Spring Limited

Contents 10 oz , imported and canned in Canada by Pure Spring ( Canada ) limited Ottawa

" the soft drink of Europe " 4 languages on side of can . in English reads " Gini contains carbonated water , sugar , citric acid , asohorbic ? acid and sodium benzoate as a preservatives , whole crushed Italian lemons and imported essential oils "

features 3 other languages - assuming French , Italian and german ?

never seen this one before , anyone else seen it or more info ?

DSC04131.JPG
DSC04131.JPG
DSC04132.JPG
DSC04132.JPG
DSC04135.JPG
DSC04135.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04133.JPG
    DSC04133.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 126

RCO

Reaction score
Never seen that one before but reminds me of the Canadian Brio cone top. LEON.View attachment 226893

Brio was also bottled by Pure Spring ( Ottawa ) during the 60's / 70's . there is a very similar Brio bottle when compared to Gini bottle

I haven't seen a Brio can from that time period but it was a pure spring brand so its related to the Gini can if that makes sense

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a great find! Excellent condition and probably a pretty unusual can. 70s seems a bit late for a flat top from a name brand, isn't it? I was thinking it looks more like a 60s can. Not sure what sort of cans Pure Spring used, I rarely see them and I'm not sure if they even used flat top cans for their own soda. I know they used cone tops at one point and aluminum cans shortly before going out of business, but not sure what they were doing in between.

RCO

Reaction score
That's a great find! Excellent condition and probably a pretty unusual can. 70s seems a bit late for a flat top from a name brand, isn't it? I was thinking it looks more like a 60s can. Not sure what sort of cans Pure Spring used, I rarely see them and I'm not sure if they even used flat top cans for their own soda. I know they used cone tops at one point and aluminum cans shortly before going out of business, but not sure what they were doing in between.

for date , just going by the age of other stuff there , most of its from around late 60's > early 70's , according to can site this can also comes in a pull top version

haven't seen any other flat top cans from pure spring , so not sure what other flat tops they used back then

they used metal cans during the 70's , as I have a pull top pure spring can and seen metal cans from 80's too but they say bottled by orange crush on them

RCO

Reaction score
metal pure spring ginger ale can
purespringcan1.JPG
, you can see the price tag I paid $1 for it at a thrift store in eastern Ontario around 2020 , wasn't sure at time if it was worth anything but it was a can I hadn't seen before or found in the wild

purespringcan.JPG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky