Girolamo Pagliamo : medicine, grass green color

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ND_IXL

Reaction score
I recently purchased this small pontilled med and I haven't been able to find any information about it. The bottle stands 4in tall and is 1 1/4in in width, I would describe the color as a light grass green and there is a very pronounced open pontil on the base, the bottle has an inward rolled lip and is heavily whittled. I'll be posting pics shortly. Any information such as value, rarity, and origin would be appreciated. I'm fairly new to collecting and am focusing on pontilled medicines.
Thanks,
Nick

ND_IXL

Reaction score
Sorry, the bottle reads Girolamo vertically on one side and Pagliano vertically on the other side

ND_IXL

Reaction score
Here are the pics, let me know what you think.Thanks,Nick

Attachments

• 9c99acd3be6942b382a0d451dfbe17a7.jpg
    9c99acd3be6942b382a0d451dfbe17a7.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 159
  • b62311ea17394fe6bcf1e6f613154578.jpg
    b62311ea17394fe6bcf1e6f613154578.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 586acce36ef34a74948fafb8c896088a.jpg
    586acce36ef34a74948fafb8c896088a.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 150

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
All I can say is it's Italian, Florence I think. I looked it up some years back and there was info online but in Italian.It looks to be an early one, 1850's maybe.Nice looking bottle.

ND_IXL

Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking it might be Italian. When I purchased it I at first thought it was American with just an Italian maker simply because it was purchased from an American collection with no other foreign bottles. I payed $70 for it, anyway I think it's an interesting bottle.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Just for yuks and wiggles I ran this wiki.Italy through google translate. It states he died in 1881 but I know the name continued for many years afterwards. He was born in Genoa to a family of Neapolitan origin [ 2 ] . Baritone failure , Pagliano had some luck , since 1838 , selling a syrup purgative beneficial properties .

Then bought the palace in Florence which was built on the area occupied until 1834 by the Prison Stinche . In 1854 it turned into theater and , for the realization of the work , he used the architect Telemaco Bonaiuti , helped by his son Charles , and the painters Luigi Dell'Era and Cesare Maffei . The theater Pagliano ( 1901 Teatro Verdi ) , on whose story is variously focused Aldo Palazzeschi , opened September 10, 1854 , with a performance of Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi opera at the time called Viscardello . In 1865 the theater suffered a fire and was forced to sell it Pagliano debtors [ 3 ] .

Girolamo Pagliano is also cited by Carlo Collodi , who said of him : Who was Girolamo Pagliano is useless to repeat here : now all the intestines of Europe knows by heart ! [ 4 ] . Besides your brochure leaflet for the syrup , published in 1856 under the title from Barbèra medicine for fathers or the doctor himself and the children , but better known as Libretto Pagliano , turned out a sort of best seller ante -litteram , having had a print run of five million copies in less than fifty years , having been translated into six languages ??( greek , French, English , Russian, German and Spanish ) , for another with different reprints for each of them , and even sung in verse in a poem [ 5 ] .

He is buried in the Cemetery of the Holy Doors of Florence , where he died September 9, 1881 [ 6 ] .

ND_IXL

Reaction score
Thanks Eric! That was some awesome information. Its amazing how much history can be connected to a bottle, very interesting.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So Nick. I have a write up for new collectors - If you follow my path, I am mainly only interested in glass that was blown on a blowpipe and formed by several methods for a lot of different things. Most of my glass saved is hand made and mouth blown. Some free formed and some blown in a dip mold or a two part mold with a bottom plate, and some early glass was blown in a mold that had threads on the neck - and the threads were in that top of the mold - with the blowpipe just broken off - and is refereed to a burst off finish - that is rough on the top edge. Everyone that collects - tries to get what interests them best. I started with an empty milk bottle that I drank the milk out of at a neighbors dairy farm. A lot of the story is in my home opage - shown below. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I just repacked a box of med bottles yesterday and a box of inks. I really like to study old glass items, and this one you showed us is really neat. I havent had a chance to study an tooled riolled in finish. I have a lot of tooled finish products - and would like to see a couple pictures of what y0u have on this one. I am not familiar with the type of tool they used to make them, but assume it was a closing plier type of forming tool, probably wood - but I doubt if it would last long. Thanks for showing this one. RED Mastthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu