Glass bottles,dishes,tableware,ornamental containers, fulgurites

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flasks

Reaction score
Fulgurite......what the heck is that? That by the way, is an irregular glass rod created by lightning strikes to the earth. While bottle hunting the white sand dunes in Southern Fl along the East Coast for old homesites over a period of about 30 years, I'd occasionally spot these fragments left by a lightning strike into the dune. Varying diameters and depth of penetration into the soil depended on the intensity of the lightning strike. I carefully try to extract as a long a piece as possible without breaking the "rod", but being so delicate they break before I can get a really long piece. The inside of these irregular rods are shinny glass smooth while the outside is the coarseness of sand grains where it was caused by rapid dissipation of the heat and no longer bond the sand grains.

Attachments

• IMG_0532 (2).JPG
    IMG_0532 (2).JPG
    740.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0534 (2).JPG
    IMG_0534 (2).JPG
    624.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0535 (2).JPG
    IMG_0535 (2).JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 192

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are really cool! I'd heard about the glass formed from lightning strikes, I had no idea it was so small though.

Flasks

Reaction score
Those are really cool! I'd heard about the glass formed from lightning strikes, I had no idea it was so small though.
The largest I've ever found was about 1/2" in diameter. The longest I've ever been able to extract one from the ground is about 5". I have never dug to where the rod no longer was a rod but my guess would be several feet at the most. Larger ones I've had I've given away.

sandchip

Reaction score
Those are neat. We responded to a call where a boom truck had contacted a 35kv transmission line. The live wire lay on the sandy ground for a spell while we waited for the power company to arrive. Hell, there was nothing we could do but watch and keep the area safe. It was in and out of the dirt for 20 or 30 feet and an amazing sight (and sound) to behold. We were released when the power company got there. I went back later that day after the site was clear and things had cooled down, hoping to dig some nice long examples, but apparently somebody else had the same idea and had already beat me to it. I got a few crumbs, but that was about it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum