Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
In 2021 I came across this white glass egg in an area of the woods where nearly every bottle was shattered in tiny pieces. This egg is hand blown with very thin fragile glass, to replicate a real egg. Research tells me they were put into nests to stimulate chickens to lay eggs. I can't figure out how something so delicate was able to survive when bottles didn't!

DSCN9086.JPG
DSCN9078.JPG
DSCN9079.JPG

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
When I Was A Child we Used Them Also To Kill Chicken Snakes .They Had To Be Fairly Light .The Snakes Also Liked Eggs .The Snakes Would Get In The Nest And swallow The Eggs Whole But Once The Snake Swallowed The Egg HE Could not Crush the Glass Egg And It Stopped The Snake Up And He Would Die .. The snake didn't go far most of the time they never left the area .then we would cut the snake open and get the glass egg .they use sell them at the feed store . Honest Grace Abounds

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your personal perspective on this. I would have never known they were used as a decoy for snakes too. I figured someone here would know about them.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Snakes are quite adept at regurgitating undigestible items, and even digestible prey items when the snake is stressed. I have seen it, and cleaned the cage afterward. Most memorable was a 4-foot Eastern Diamondback that up-chucked a grown, half-digested cottontail rabbit -- very unpleasant. And ungrateful, since I had rescued the snake from my neighbor's land-clearing operation. I later released the snake in the Florida boonies.

rdfmartin

Reaction score
Interesting! I found one of these glass eggs many years ago in King and Queen County VA, and knew what they were used for, but I didn't know about the snake part. Since most snakes have unhinged jaws and inward curved teeth, I guess the loose jaw makes regurgitation possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu