Glass insulators still in service in Coreys, NY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
Saw these glass insulators still in service today. They are being used with primaries (electrical) even though they appear to be blue Hemingray 42s, which were made for telephone. But that was a common practice here back in the day. Very cool that these are still here because last I knew they redid a lot of poles in Coreys near Tupper Lake but this one still stands.
20210404_170757.jpg

nydigger

Reaction score
Saw these glass insulators still in service today. They are being used with primaries (electrical) even though they appear to be blue Hemingray 42s, which were made for telephone. But that was a common practice here back in the day. Very cool that these are still here because last I knew they redid a lot of poles in Coreys near Tupper Lake but this one still stands.View attachment 222753
Judging by the wire attached to them it's old telegraph or telephone and are out of service. Sometimes it's just not worth it to tear it all down if the pole is still in service.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
Judging by the wire attached to them it's old telegraph or telephone and are out of service. Sometimes it's just not worth it to tear it all down if the pole is still in service.

Actually, the wire on the insulators is the electrical wire. This is in a residential area and every other pole has new insulators and is carrying copper 6 or 7,000 volts to the houses in Coreys. There actually used to be telegraph further down but these poles are much newer. The pole is probably from the 1950s and these have been repurposed from qhat they had on hand. Every othet pole has the new white saddleback insulators or the chocolate brown ones.

nydigger

Reaction score
Actually, the wire on the insulators is the electrical wire. This is in a residential area and every other pole has new insulators and is carrying copper 6 or 7,000 volts to the houses in Coreys. There actually used to be telegraph further down but these poles are much newer. The pole is probably from the 1950s and these have been repurposed from qhat they had on hand. Every othet pole has the new white saddleback insulators or the chocolate brown ones.
Interesting I didn't think they were rated for voltage that high

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Interesting I didn't think they were rated for voltage that high

I know they do the same thing on the Hudson over in the Germantown area. Most would be shocked to find that these dead lines are quite live. Be careful out there all you insulator junkies.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

BillinMo

Reaction score
It's not unusual to see Hemingray 42s and other communications insulators end up on low-voltage power lines, probably because of re-purposing. Back when this was common practice, there was no OSHA or ANSI so line builders just made do with what they had. Often that kind of line construction was a small local utility that didn't have a big budget to buy new equipment. It makes for interesting insulator hunting if you can find areas like this... sometimes there is no consistency from pole to pole along the same line.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
It's not unusual to see Hemingray 42s and other communications insulators end up on low-voltage power lines, probably because of re-purposing. Back when this was common practice, there was no OSHA or ANSI so line builders just made do with what they had. Often that kind of line construction was a small local utility that didn't have a big budget to buy new equipment. It makes for interesting insulator hunting if you can find areas like this... sometimes there is no consistency from pole to pole along the same line.
Hemingray 42s are used on the Hudson also.
ROBBYBOBBY64 .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu