Glass whatzit?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
This glass piece was dug up in an old hotel dump in NH. I guess it would be called a nailsea type pattern. Appears solid and ruby red inside. Not round enough for a marble.
I have been using it for a paperweight. Curious if anyone has any ideas what it was at one time. maybe just a so-called whimsy. Pretty glass in any case.
Cliff

Ca80893.jpg

Attachments

• Ca80893.jpg
    Ca80893.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 144

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a marble that didn't make it? Is the bottom rounded or flat? If flat, it may be a glass blower's end of day whimsey piece. It's gorgeous whatever it is.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Bottom is rounded too, it is just too oval to make it as a marble. Still makes a good paperweight if nothing else. Pretty heavy being solid. Might have been a gather that got away before the glass blower managed to get it blown,the other side is just solid red color. Who knows?

IRISH

Reaction score
It may well have have been made as a paperweight, it's a great piece of glass whatever it is [:)] .

thechief

Reaction score
ive gotta a couple of them but they are aqua with white. I think its just waste glass thats been sheared from whatever they were making .

RedGinger

Reaction score
I like it! How's the digging up there? I would have liked to dig the Wentworth. I liked the way it looked better before they restored it.

saphireblue

Reaction score
The design is to fancy to be excess glass. This was made for something. I have no idea what it is though. Its really cool looking though. Look up history of the hotel you dug at you might come across it. It might be something associated with the hotel.

KentOhio

Reaction score
It is actually extra glass that was cut off the bottom of something being blown. That's how they get the loop design so neat and tight at the bottom. Normally it would be thrown out but it was just too pretty, so someone kept it. When I or my friends are blowing glass I take the same things home sometimes.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi