GlassWorks Auction #148

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
That would be nice, but not always possible if you want to add certain bottles to your collection. A fellow just up the road that I knew for over 40 years had a killer collection, but there was no buying stuff from him. He died of CJD a few years back and his widow after a while consigned his collection to GWA. Sometimes, it's the only way to get a bottle. And I know the buyer and seller fees are a pain, but the folks running these auction houses have to make a living, too, not to mention the expenses of running a business, which are far more numerous than many folks realize, and getting more expensive every day. Just a different perspective from one who has been self-employed for well over 40 years.
Auction houses are charging seller and buyer fees on the same items. I totally understand your point but it’s Bs.

I would rather give someone a huge discount than pay 20% fees and then have to wait months for my money

opmustard

Reaction score
That would be nice, but not always possible if you want to add certain bottles to your collection. A fellow just up the road that I knew for over 40 years had a killer collection, but there was no buying stuff from him. He died of CJD a few years back and his widow after a while consigned his collection to GWA. Sometimes, it's the only way to get a bottle. And I know the buyer and seller fees are a pain, but the folks running these auction houses have to make a living, too, not to mention the expenses of running a business, which are far more numerous than many folks realize, and getting more expensive every day. Just a different perspective from one who has been self-employed for well over 40 years.
[/QUOTE
You have a very good point. Sure I would like pay to no fees, but the auction house has to make money.
I just won a soda that I would never had a chance of getting if it weren't for GlassWorks. Luckily, I won it at a reasonable price, so the 20% plus shipping wasn't so painfull (actually, pay with a check and you get a little more off that 20%).
I was self-employed my entire working career, so I understand what your talking about.
opmustard

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Auction houses are charging seller and buyer fees on the same items. I totally understand your point but it’s Bs.
I would rather give someone a huge discount than pay 20% fees and then have to wait months for my money
The only defense I offer for the auction house is that producing these auctions is a lot of work taking many many hours from before to after covering several MONTHS effort by many people. I like a bargain better than most, but having said that I understand that there are certain rare bottles that I may only be able to acquire through these auctions. I don't bid on many, but I bite the bullet and take into account all of the fees associated with the lot. Auctions are also a good way to see some beautiful bottles that we may never see otherwise. If you don't like the fees that is ok, but we should be careful berating the 20% buyer fee as without it we probably would never get to see awesome bottles or the chance to own a dream bottle. I wish the fees did not exist, but I am glad the auction house do what they do. My advice is to specialize in a kind of bottle that you like and stick to that and to wheel and deal in everything else to build a nest egg for collecting. Go to bottle shows, try feebay, or faRcebook groups/marketplace and try to sell some stuff. Or God forbid get a second job or money making activity such as mowing yards. I save my collecting money in its own account and if I have a lot I can buy big and not so much I have to wait. Buyer fees will not go away so try not to beat up the auctions for the hard work involved in supporting our hobby. As I said earlier I am glad for what they do.

opmustard

Reaction score
The only defense I offer for the auction house is that producing these auctions is a lot of work taking many many hours from before to after covering several MONTHS effort by many people. I like a bargain better than most, but having said that I understand that there are certain rare bottles that I may only be able to acquire through these auctions. I don't bid on many, but I bite the bullet and take into account all of the fees associated with the lot. Auctions are also a good way to see some beautiful bottles that we may never see otherwise. If you don't like the fees that is ok, but we should be careful berating the 20% buyer fee as without it we probably would never get to see awesome bottles or the chance to own a dream bottle. I wish the fees did not exist, but I am glad the auction house do what they do. My advice is to specialize in a kind of bottle that you like and stick to that and to wheel and deal in everything else to build a nest egg for collecting. Go to bottle shows, try feebay, or faRcebook groups/marketplace and try to sell some stuff. Or God forbid get a second job or money making activity such as mowing yards. I save my collecting money in its own account and if I have a lot I can buy big and not so much I have to wait. Buyer fees will not go away so try not to beat up the auctions for the hard work involved in supporting our hobby. As I said earlier I am glad for what they do.
I don't want to pay the 20% or 10%, etc. However, everything you said in your post is true, I agree.
They have to make their money, its a lot of hard work to put on these auctions.
If I don't want to pay the fee for any bottles they are auctioning, then simply don't buy. This last auction, I found a very nice hard to find pontiled soda and won it at a good price (wouldn't been able to buy one of these otherwise). The auctions have there place in the bottle world that is for sure (as everything you mentioned in your post.)
Nice way of looking at this subject.
opmustard

nhpharm

Reaction score
I have sold a number of items through these auctions and the right items always do better in these auctions than they would do otherwise, even accounting for the fees. Not the case for more common stuff, but typically the best way to "milk" the most money out of higher quality items.

opmustard

Reaction score
I have sold a number of items through these auctions and the right items always do better in these auctions than they would do otherwise, even accounting for the fees. Not the case for more common stuff, but typically the best way to "milk" the most money out of higher quality items.
I agree that the more higher stuff will do better at an Auction House. However, I've sometimes include some lower end was suprised that did well sometimes.
opmustard

sandchip

Reaction score
Another aspect is the knowledge of the ones running these glass auction houses. Not saying they always get it right, but who possibly could? Overall though, they do an exceptional job of describing the origin and history behind a vast range of categories. Put a value on that. I would urge the bellyachers to start their own bottle auction house, and see how long they last charging whatever fees they see as fair. Nevermind the business overhead costs, there are personal expenses at home to consider once the business costs are covered. Help me out guys with the things comprising the overhead in running a bottle auction firm:

1. Either photography equipment, lighting, etc. or hiring a photographer.
2. Website construction and maintenance.
3. Utilities and telephone.
4. Security.
5. Liability insurance.
6. Building insurance.
7. Contents insurance.
8. Facility maintenance and upkeep.
9. Employees (if any) and associated expenses such as insurance, FICA, etc.
10. Accounting services.
11. Legal expenses.
12. TIME!

Probably a lot more. Still early in the morning. Please add whatever any of you may think of.

Are any of you paying the same for bread, gas, lights, etc. that you were 20 years ago?

Last edited:

treeguyfred

Reaction score
So, I was chasing a few items there at GWA 148 but only scored with the W & co. Figural pineapple bitters! When I get it I'll post a snap or two.

But, I really wanted the
OLD SACHEM / BITTERS / AND / WIGWAM TONIC”, (Ring/Ham, O-46), New York, ca. 1860 - 1870, medium yellow with amber tone barrel, 9 1/2”h, smooth base, applied mouth.

About perfect (a thin internal open bubble is in the neck). A fine example that approaches being pure yellow in color!
But it went over my absolute highest dollar amount that I could spend with a conscience.
Oh well, I'm happy anyhow,
~Fred

opmustard

Reaction score
So, I was chasing a few items there at GWA 148 but only scored with the W & co. Figural pineapple bitters! When I get it I'll post a snap or two.

But, I really wanted the
OLD SACHEM / BITTERS / AND / WIGWAM TONIC”, (Ring/Ham, O-46), New York, ca. 1860 - 1870, medium yellow with amber tone barrel, 9 1/2”h, smooth base, applied mouth.

About perfect (a thin internal open bubble is in the neck). A fine example that approaches being pure yellow in color!
But it went over my absolute highest dollar amount that I could spend with a conscience.
Oh well, I'm happy anyhow,
~Fred
That pineapple figural bitters is a nice one, glad you able were to win it. Too bad about the Old Sachems, they are nice, love those barrels.
Figural bitters have gone up quite a bit since I collected them.
I bought a really nice cobalt soda that is totally new to me from the last Glassworks Auction. I too, was hoping to pay somewhat less for the bottle, but ending up paying a little more than I had planned (just had to have it, yeah right.)
I swear there must a bidding gnome following me at every auction.
opmustard

Jamdam

Reaction score
The auction price along with any fees the buyer pays is the current “market” price for the bottle sold. I purchased the two bottles attached from the recent GW auction. The one on the left is perfect and I paid a reasonable price all in based on price ranges for that mold in Joe L. Mathews price guide for TeaKettle Inks. The one on the right has a very small making chip on the neck that was disclosed in description. I didn’t have the mold so was fine to buy a less than perfect example, especially as I got it for the low entry bid.

Auctions are the only real “international/national” marketplace for bottles. Forget about the fees unless you’re the seller. As a buyer, the fess are just part of the total market price. How many bottles weren’t sold at that auction? A few but most of them sold after the auction at reduced prices. I know as I am solicited on those remaining pieces if available after those auctions.

I much prefer the fee based auctions to the Ebay format. The information is much better, more precise as to condition, and you always have a recourse to return if not satisfied. Most important is the bidding format. All these reputable auction houses have rules that prohibit sniping at the last few seconds of a bid and give added time or callbacks if you are outbid near end of auction. I just wish there was better attribution and provenance offered. The bottle on the left had no attribution information but has three different auction house stickers on the bottom with codes. A great auction house would have researched those sales and gave an accounting of past owners and pricing history. This is important as provenance can effect price. At a past Heckler auction, I paid more for an ink than I might have normally except it was from the William Covill collection.

Long winded but I would not have the opportunities to build a collection of my particular interests without them. Just saying.

Attachments

• 97CC287B-5A94-46C1-8E60-89469294B0CF.jpeg
    97CC287B-5A94-46C1-8E60-89469294B0CF.jpeg
    839.4 KB · Views: 150

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu