Gold plated hadacol bottle???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nikanjoe

Reaction score
all i know is it is gold fill or gold plating of some kind. 10k. I'm assuming it is laid on over brass or something like that. wish I had more proof of its story, but all I have is my mom's word and the paper she wrote following her interview with him for a speech class at USL.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Keep that record and if she can document it in her hand, that's great.
I'm guessing it's very small from the base picture. Maybe near 1X3".
It would be a 10 carat plate if anything. I'm not convinced that the series of numbers is anything more that a mold ID after blowing up the pic though. I can't read or recognize the maker mark. The sub structure would need a pro to figure out by actually holding it unless it's scratched and you can see underneath anywhere. You might be able to tell yourself by comparing size a weight to other familiar materials. Is the top open or is it solid?

37A94BEDD13A4ADCA6A900886A0829EE.jpg

Attachments

• 37A94BEDD13A4ADCA6A900886A0829EE.jpg
    37A94BEDD13A4ADCA6A900886A0829EE.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 93

Nikanjoe

Reaction score
I've done some more research today on the markings and "apparently" the 1/10 - 10k GF means a minimum of 10% of the weight of the item is 10k gold. "Gold-filled jewelry is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass . Gold-filled items are 50 to 100,000 times thicker than regular gold plating, and 17 to 25,000 times thicker than heavy gold electroplate" Sometimes copper is used as the base metal, but I'm guessing from the heftiness of the bottle, the base metal for this item is brass. the bottle is approximately 1 x2.5 inches. the top does not open - it is solid.

After several more hours of searching, I can still find no further reference to any item of this type other than the original reference I noted regarding the beauty pageant winner. I don't collect anything, so I don't know if that bodes well for me because it clearly shows rarity or bodes badly because there is no market for it.

My concern at this point is to get it appraised by a reputable expert, but where to find one that specializes in this? It isn't a functioning bottle, it just looks like a bottle and where do you go to get something like this authenticated and appraised. If it is worth anything significant, I would like to have my mom insure it - we have too many hurricanes, tornadoes etc. down here.

And if she wishes to part with it, I would need to figure out the best avenue to help her get top dollar for it so maybe she can go to europe as she has always dreamed.

I appreciate the interest from everyone who has posted. Any further help, assistance or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac