Got a little dirt on me

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madman

Reaction score
glad to see ya back! great find! you da man!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Congratulations on a spectacular find, better a size 18 than a 12 when it comes to gold cases! The dial is in very nice condition, definitely looks salvageable.

Even in the 1890s a gold-cased pocket watch would have been worth diving down into the crapper for, I wonder why it wasn't recovered?

I am curious about the weight, for your sake I hope it contains over 2 troy ounces of pure! Please let us know if you get an accurate weight for it, and congratulations again!

capsoda

Reaction score
Thanks folks. It is great to be back and Rick has gone Hollywood but still talks to us little people. What a guy.[;)] Hey Mikey, whats up man. the whole time I was gone the world has gone to crap but it has to get better now that I can type again. The first time I tried to type it made my arm so sore I couldn't use it for a couple of days. The shoulder was a big mess but it came out great. If it was just not in the middle of my chest. [&:] Got to have the other one done and my right knee possibly but neither of them are as bad as my left shoulder was and it won't take 3 years to get them done.

I can't find my jewelers scale but I'd guess 2 ounces. Gold is still bouncing around 1500 bucks so it should be good for folding money.Good to see your still around too Stephen. I will let you know the total weight tomorrow.

Hey Red, I sure have missed you all. I am still working on the worlds greatest crab cake recipe.

Watchmakers/Jewelers scratched the date and their initials (very, very tiny) inside the back cover to keep up with when they needed cleaning and a tune up. Just like keeping up with oil changes in your car. That way you could send the customer a card to remind them when it is time and any other watchmaker would know when the last cleaning was done. Without proper oiling and maintenance the watch would run slow or stop. This guy got his cleaned every 2 to 3 years so he wasn't worried about accurate time too much but he did use the same watchmaker every time. I know this because I was trained in a 2 year college course and I am a retired Jeweler/Watchmaker. I still do a little work from time to time.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Cool. Good luck on the crabcakes and let us know how they turn out. I knew you were very knowledgable in the jewelry world; I just wondered how one would find that out. Very interesting history. They sure don't do things like they used to. Thanks, Cap. Take care of yourself.

glass man

Reaction score
Very nice CAP!!From the time line[1895 last seviced] I suppose some one some person lost it in the crapper...can't imagine them throwing away...bad for them...but great for you!!JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

That’s right guy and girls…it says “K18â€. It is a solid 18 carat gold case. I put it in a peroxide cleaning solution that will eat up anything that is not 14k or higher. Solid 18k. Made my day let me tell ya. It was good to get out but this made it really worth while

2797344A85754D6C9993A9D9FA710B18.jpg

Hello Warren,

It's great to see you posting, and digging up gold watches! Way to go sir.

fiona_digging_again.jpg

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Congratulations on a spectacular find, better a size 18 than a 12 when it comes to gold cases! The dial is in very nice condition, definitely looks salvageable.

Even in the 1890s a gold-cased pocket watch would have been worth diving down into the crapper for, I wonder why it wasn't recovered?

I am curious about the weight, for your sake I hope it contains over 2 troy ounces of pure! Please let us know if you get an accurate weight for it, and congratulations again!
my guess is 1.5 troy oz to a lil over 2 troy oz

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac