Got out for a while this morning

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Tried searching an area again that I went to two years ago, one of the worst hikes I've ever done, just so over-grown and thick, it was a major battle trying to get to the spots I wanted, finally gave up and worked my way back to the main road, even that sucked but better than the way I went into the area, and as if to slap me in the face I found one lonely beer bottle from '76 lol. Finally back to my car, I decided to hit a dump right around the corner from where I was, dug there two years ago and found some Packies and was hoping for a few more, no luck. Oddly I found an early 16oz? clear beer bottle laying right on top of the former house foundation as if thrown there yesterday, O inside a square bottle mark makes it an early Owens made bottle prior to merging with Illinois, much earlier than the stuff in the dump that was only a few feet from where I found it. The Lawson's milk would have been nice if it didn't have a hole in it, I kept it until a better one comes along. A few marbles and what looks to be a small wall mount planter? Not sure what the bottle is next to the amber beer bottle, never dug one before so I brought it back. A lot of hiking and work for minimal return, oh well, that's how it goes sometimes, still fun to get out........ ;)
20220913_143217.jpg
20220913_143238.jpg
20220913_144423.jpg

Last edited:

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Better pics of the bottom of the Owens bottle, could be either 8 and a 6, or 9 and a 8, the 8 looks like it could also be a 3, really hard to tell, the bottle is in really nice shape, still have some clean up to do to it.
20220913_151747.jpg
20220913_151831.jpg

UnderMiner

Reaction score
My guess is it's probably a lemon juice bottle, the one that looks like a golf ball. Too bad the Lawson bottle has a hole in it, don't cut yourself by accident on it, it is so easy to do that.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Better pics of the bottom of the Owens bottle, could be either 8 and a 6, or 9 and a 8, the 8 looks like it could also be a 3, really hard to tell, the bottle is in really nice shape, still have some clean up to do to it.View attachment 239890View attachment 239891

The more I thought about this Owens made bottle, and regardless of which date it could be, either way it would put it during prohibition time period, so now I'm guessing it would have been a soda or mixer beverage of some sort. Could still have been a brewery made soda..... ;)

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
My guess is it's probably a lemon juice bottle, the one that looks like a golf ball. Too bad the Lawson bottle has a hole in it, don't cut yourself by accident on it, it is so easy to do that.
For the heck of it I did an eBay search for "vintage hobnail bottle" and found three of these listed out of 1179 bottles that came up under that search, none with labels so I still don't know what it was used for. I will say that when cleaning the inside, my souring pad attached to wire came out with an oily almost greasy feeling substance on it that really wouldn't clean off.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum