Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
First of all I apologize to everyone for being away so long. I have a lot of major life issues I'm dealing with. I don't expect this to change any time soon.
But anyhow I was browsing on Ebay and came across this unusual looking 1960 green Coke bottle. I am wondering if it is real or artificially colored. I've never seen anything like it before. I don't have full trust in this seller because they are also listing a 1949 Patent D Coke bottle that was obviously irradiated. Here's the links to both bottles.

DavidW

Reaction score
The green bottle looks to be authentic, and one of the earlier lighter-weight NO DEPOSIT NO RETURN type Coke bottles. I see them more in clear than in green, but I am sure it is real.

The weird thing is that the seller gives NO INFORMATION on what the base markings are, no photos of the base, and just writes "CIRCA 1960s" which means nothing if they can't prove when it was made by supplying info on the date code. Surely that bottle should have a date code embossed on it --- somewhere. (I just wrote to the seller, and I will see if he/she answers).

By the way, I found a similar bottle on Worthopedia - this bottle has a base picture - the date code is either for 1962 or 1974.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/emerald-green-coca-cola-deposit-2013307153

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
The green bottle looks to be authentic, and one of the earlier lighter-weight NO DEPOSIT NO RETURN type Coke bottles. I see them more in clear than in green, but I am sure it is real.

The weird thing is that the seller gives NO INFORMATION on what the base markings are, no photos of the base, and just writes "CIRCA 1960s" which means nothing if they can't prove when it was made by supplying info on the date code. Surely that bottle should have a date code embossed on it --- somewhere. (I just wrote to the seller, and I will see if he/she answers).

By the way, I found a similar bottle on Worthopedia - this bottle has a base picture - the date code is either for 1962 or 1974.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/emerald-green-coca-cola-deposit-2013307153
Thanks for your link. I do find it frustrating when a seller will not show the base markings or explain how they determined a certain year. A proper date code or maker mark helps determine that a bottle is authentic. I do see some photos of the base on the ad now. Maybe they just uploaded those ones recently? Looks like an Owens-Illinois but I still don't see a date. Good luck with getting them to respond. They won't answer my message.

Last edited:

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Thanks for your link. I do find it frustrating when a seller will not show the base markings or explain how they determined a certain year. A proper date code or maker mark helps determine that a bottle is authentic. I do see some photos of the base on the ad now. Maybe they just uploaded those ones recently? Looks like an Owens-Illinois but I still don't see a date. Good luck with getting them to respond. They won't answer my message.

I just looked at the link on the green Coke bottle, looks like the seller added pics of the bottoms, unless they were there before.

DavidW

Reaction score
I just looked at the link on the green Coke bottle, looks like the seller added pics of the bottoms, unless they were there before.
I just got a reply from the seller that new base pictures were posted. I just checked and all that I can see in the photo is the date code (to the right of the Owens-Illinois "I inside an O") is a "1". I suspect that there is a "6" to the left of the 1 (meaning 1961) but the photo is so poor I can't make it out.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
It
I just got a reply from the seller that new base pictures were posted. I just checked and all that I can see in the photo is the date code (to the right of the Owens-Illinois "I inside an O") is a "1". I suspect that there is a "6" to the left of the 1 (meaning 1961) but the photo is so poor I can't make it out.
It would be very odd for the date to be put onto an Owens-Illinois soda bottle in this manner. Usually the date is only on the right side of the logo, and has two digits. Unless it's from the 1930's or early 1940s. Which this one definitely isn't.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
It

It would be very odd for the date to be put onto an Owens-Illinois soda bottle in this manner. Usually the date is only on the right side of the logo, and has two digits. Unless it's from the 1930's or early 1940s. Which this one definitely isn't.

I think David means that it looks like a VERY faint 6 right next to the 1 but still to the right of the OI, that letter O with the I inside (without the diamond) started in '54, so it could be from '61, the plant code seams odd, to me it looks to be 7A, 7 was Alton, Il, so maybe the "A" is for Alton....just a guess... ;) Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 17-42-41 O-IPlantList.pdf.png;)

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Not sure if you noticed, but I can see that the word Coke is also embossed at the upper neck of the bottle, I've never seen that before either.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I think David means that it looks like a VERY faint 6 right next to the 1 but still to the right of the OI, that letter O with the I inside (without the diamond) started in '54, so it could be from '61, the plant code seams odd, to me it looks to be 7A, 7 was Alton, Il, so maybe the "A" is for Alton....just a guess... ;) View attachment 239053;)
I see what you mean now. The 6 is probably just not showing up in the photo. With the word Coke up on the neck this must have been an experimental prototype bottle.

DavidW

Reaction score
RoyalRuby and WesternPA-collector, yes you are correct, that is what I meant. Also just the fact that there is a 'space' immediately to the left of the "1" shows there has to be a number in that position, but I am sure it is just very, very faint.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264