Has anyone ever recolored pyro milk bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigerbeetle69

Reaction score
Where I live, there are pyro milk bottles worth thousands. However, by the time I dig them up, the enamel coloring is either gone or quickly fades once hit by the light of day. Interestingly, there is always what seems to be an acid-etched after-image. It would seem this ghostly template could be used for reapplying pyro-glaze color, though I once read the process has been lost to time. The question arises: Is the afterimage retained by milk bottles upon losing their color the result of enamel effecting/etching the glass or does the pyro-glazing process involve first etching the glass so the enamel only sticks to that area? Any thoughts. The fist person come up with re-glazing process could have one heck of a pyro milk bottle collection.
zzzzzaara1a.jpg

Csa

Reaction score
I’ve thought about that exact same thing, if the ghost image is strong enough, must be a process to re-adhere new paint to those areas. Btw, love the hy vita bottle, is that yours. I own a house 1 mile from Old Barney. Hope to obtain one some day.

tigerbeetle69

Reaction score
I'm a lifelong LBI resident. I have half a dozen let's say eroded Hy-Vita milks. One I was given is maybe 80 percent pyro-ed. This one sold for half a mint -- so it can't have been mine.

Reactions: Csa

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to re-apply the ACL in any practical way. It's definitely not a process lost to time since there are plenty of manufacturers still making ACL bottles - Corona beer is probably the most universally recognizable one - but I don't think it's something you can do without some industrial-grade equipment. If someone were to very carefully take the time they might be able to replicate the process using household items though. I wonder how well nail polish sticks to glass? You could get a finish that looks pretty much identical to an ACL label but I'm not sure how easily it would scratch off.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Tigerbeetle69 et al,

Sorry, tech wise probably we're not there yet that I know of. Put me down for some stock in your company on it's IPO. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis