Have Access to old bottling plant that operated from 1870 to 1915

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

schermdog

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful bottle people. I'm new to the group. Greetings from West Virginia, So I use to be a bottle collector and digger back in my teen age years and early 20's but then collage, a career and life all happened and my bottle digging days went to the way side. Well now I'm retired. Thought I would get back into it.

So I have access to a property that once had an old bottling plant there. Now its a housing area with houses being built in the 30's and 40's. One of the property owner has giving me permission to probe around and do a dig. So as to the age of the glass plant I was given two dates. Supposedly it was in operation until 1870 to 1915 but then I was told it was in operation from 1890 to 1915 and burned down in 1915. Got this info from some old timers that lived in the area. Not sure of the companies name but what I have recovered so far is a stamp on some of the bottles M,G. & G. Co which I believe stands for Massillon Bottle and glass works. I can find no record of that glass company being in West Virginia. I'm not sure if this was an actual glass bottling manufacturing spot or a bottle filling plant or both.

So couple of weeks ago I started doing a survey of the area and I have found an area that contains 100's if not thousand of hutch bottles and old crown tops soda's with all kinds of different embossed labels. I think what I found was an area where they put their rejects. There is tons of broken aqua glass shards. Every bottle I have recovered so far has had the top broken or the bottom blown out. Funny thing I have not recovered any tops yet. So does any one know if they recycled the glass at these plants when they were broken? I can only assume that is what this pile I have uncovered was.

So There are many different labels that are embossed. I'm in the process of recording them. So I can research them later. And got a few pics here. So far I found one that reads ALLEGHANY BOTTLING CO GLEN JEAN W.V. Below that it reads THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD and on the back is the M.G. & G. Co.
Then I found two that read LOOP CREEK BOTTLING & ICECREAM COMPANY MACDONALD WEST VIRGINIA with the # 8 on the back heel.

Then that reads P. SCHLLE COLUMBUS O THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD

Then WEST CHARLESTON BOTTLING WORKS CHARLSTON W.V. Back heel has the #27

Okay those are several of the bottles I have found but you get the picture. There are 100's more with all different label s. So I have been unable to find any info on these companies and I guess I'm wondering if there is a potential gold mine here???? Are hutch bottles worth more if there is no other ones with the same labels? So next week I start my dig. The property owner told me where he dug out his garden and filled it with garden soil. It was so full of metal and glass that he dug three feet down. There he found 100 or so soda's intact but he gave them all away years ago. So any guidance or info would be appreciated Thank you all so muchView attachment 239660View attachment 239661

hView attachment 239659

kolawars

Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful bottle people. I'm new to the group. Greetings from West Virginia, So I use to be a bottle collector and digger back in my teen age years and early 20's but then collage, a career and life all happened and my bottle digging days went to the way side. Well now I'm retired. Thought I would get back into it.

So I have access to a property that once had an old bottling plant there. Now its a housing area with houses being built in the 30's and 40's. One of the property owner has giving me permission to probe around and do a dig. So as to the age of the glass plant I was given two dates. Supposedly it was in operation until 1870 to 1915 but then I was told it was in operation from 1890 to 1915 and burned down in 1915. Got this info from some old timers that lived in the area. Not sure of the companies name but what I have recovered so far is a stamp on some of the bottles M,G. & G. Co which I believe stands for Massillon Bottle and glass works. I can find no record of that glass company being in West Virginia. I'm not sure if this was an actual glass bottling manufacturing spot or a bottle filling plant or both.

So couple of weeks ago I started doing a survey of the area and I have found an area that contains 100's if not thousand of hutch bottles and old crown tops soda's with all kinds of different embossed labels. I think what I found was an area where they put their rejects. There is tons of broken aqua glass shards. Every bottle I have recovered so far has had the top broken or the bottom blown out. Funny thing I have not recovered any tops yet. So does any one know if they recycled the glass at these plants when they were broken? I can only assume that is what this pile I have uncovered was.

So There are many different labels that are embossed. I'm in the process of recording them. So I can research them later. And got a few pics here. So far I found one that reads ALLEGHANY BOTTLING CO GLEN JEAN W.V. Below that it reads THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD and on the back is the M.G. & G. Co.
Then I found two that read LOOP CREEK BOTTLING & ICECREAM COMPANY MACDONALD WEST VIRGINIA with the # 8 on the back heel.

Okay those are several of the bottles I have found but you get the picture. There are 100's more with all different label s. So I have been unable to find any info on these companies and I guess I'm wondering if there is a potential gold mine here???? Are hutch bottles worth more if there is no other ones with the same labels? So next week I start my dig. The property owner told me where he dug out his garden and filled it with garden soil. It was so full of metal and glass that he dug three feet down. There he found 100 or so soda's intact but he gave them all away years ago. So any guidance or info would be appreciated Thank you all so muchView attachment 239660View attachment 239661

hView attachment 239659
If you find any Celery Cola bottles, even damaged, please let me know.

schermdog

Reaction score
Back in the day, in my childhood town of warwick ny, I came across the dump site for a local bottling works company. The company was named Isaiah Bunn. Maybe some of you collectors have seen the name. Like you the topground was scattered with broken blobs and hutches. Local kids used to shoot them with bb guns. However once I started digging it became the best site I ever did. I spent an entire summer of my childhood there . I think your finds will be incredible. Good luck!

Agent67

Reaction score

hView attachment 239659
Nice stuff dude. Always fun to dig a new site. I would keep those bottles with the tops broken off and make them into drinking glasses etc.

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
will do Was suppose to start digging to day but its poring out so maybe later today ill get a start.

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Damn! Regardless of whether they made glass bottles at the plant, or if they were just bottling, if there is any site where you will find old bottles....you found it! My suggestion is to push all the old broken bottles and shards away from an area and start digging down deeper! All the intact bottles are probably buried. I consider myself a "surface digger" or "searcher" for the most part. I do not have the time to dig down deep and proper. However, it has been my experience that all the "good" stuff is usually buried below all the broken surface stuff. Keep in mind that over the years kids have a field day breaking up any old bottles or things that they stumble across. I found a pretty good site myself (an old 1960s illegal dump site) and I knew I had to dig to find my "glittering treasures." Sure enough, as soon as I started to dig...voila!

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Damn! Regardless of whether they made glass bottles at the plant, or if they were just bottling, if there is any site where you will find old bottles....you found it! My suggestion is to push all the old broken bottles and shards away from an area and start digging down deeper! All the intact bottles are probably buried. I consider myself a "surface digger" or "searcher" for the most part. I do not have the time to dig down deep and proper. However, it has been my experience that all the "good" stuff is usually buried below all the broken surface stuff. Keep in mind that over the years kids have a field day breaking up any old bottles or things that they stumble across. I found a pretty good site myself (an old 1960s illegal dump site) and I knew I had to dig to find my "glittering treasures." Sure enough, as soon as I started to dig...voila!
Thanks for the encouragement. That was my plan of attack. I'v got a lot of the glass in 5 gal buckets. Trying to record all the labels. I posted an update too so you can check out what I found so far

eddeeeddee

Reaction score
Hello
Hello Kolawars. So I started my dig and today was the second day. It was a good day. The first bottle I pulled out of the hole was a crown top KANAWHA CELERY COLA CHARLSTON W. Va. with a chip on the crown and what looks like a bubble blow out on the side but not through the bottle On the bottom There is a big K Here is a pic sorry I have not perfected the art of bottle photography.
So at first I had not clue what you were talking about. I thought a weird green colored Coke a Cola bottle or some weird shape, something like that. But then When I pulled this bottle, the first word I read was Celery Cola and it was an ah ha moment. So did a bit of research and They actually made a Celery flavored cola That sounds kind of Yuk but I guess it was medicinal.

Attachments

• DSC07264.JPG
    DSC07264.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 95

mingoman64

Reaction score
A great bottle, but I can't imagine thinking, Boy! I a celery flavored soda would really hit the spot.
You have, however, hit an excellent spot to dig.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Antiques214

Reaction score

hView attachment 239659
Ask the guy if you can dig near his garden area where he found all those bottles cause it sounds like a honey hole. By the sounds of it, what you found was the bottlers dumpsite. They would often snap the tops off old bottles of they were transitioning to a new design so that the bottles couldn't be reused.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu