Hazy results

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chosi

Reaction score
I also get bottles that come out hazy on occasion. It's rare though - maybe one out of every 30 or 40 tumbles. I've assumed it's something about the glass in those bottles that causes them to be hazy, especially since I've tried what you did (tumbled a 2nd time) and saw little or no improvement.

P.S.
I used to use 1200-grit for 3 days on sick bottles, then somebody told me that the 1200 grit will do everything it's going to do in the first 24 hours. Since then I've reduced my 1200 grit tumbling time to just 24 hours, and I seem to get the same results.

justcleaning

Reaction score
Hi chosi and thanks for the info. Good to know I'm not alone in my dilemma. I'm going to try the 1 day 1200 thing. Would surely speed the process along. Lots of bottles and so little time. Try the 1500 grit on light sickness. It will clean and polish in about 5 days. Not much time savings in the tumbler, but not having to clean and reload the canister is golden.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
tap water could be a problem due to some items in the water, and he boils his water.

boiling water would concentrate minerals in the water as pure water vapor boils away.
you can just buy distilled water at most grocery stores.

justcleaning

Reaction score
Just took beer bottle out after 3 days in glass beads w/ alum. oxide. Came out perfect. Here are some pics. Wish I had some with the haze, then you could see the huge difference. Thanks to everyone for the help. I have some new ideas now.

C91D9C63AC5A499BBABEFF06F0C000AE.jpg

Attachments

• C91D9C63AC5A499BBABEFF06F0C000AE.jpg
    C91D9C63AC5A499BBABEFF06F0C000AE.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 110

jarhunter

Reaction score
Hi Dennis, 1500 grit is still a cutter until it breaks down, sounds like the hazy ones could go a little longer, i use just polish oxide on just about everything, then i make decision if it worth going towards cutting.Like to keep attic mint, from the attic, but thats a whole different post. Sometimes the mix/ water might not be right, i do not clean my copper, just use less polish. Warren

justcleaning

Reaction score
Hi Warren, thanks for the reply. I do run for about 5-6 days when I use the 1500. Normally no other polishing is needed, but I only do this with minor sickness. With anything worse I start with 1200 and see how it looks after 2-3 days. If still showing signs of sickness I then go to 1500 and after that to polish.

As I stated above, the glass beads did the trick. So it's on to the next bottle. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94