hello everyone

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ga_collector

Reaction score
hello all,

i am brand new to this forum. i've been a long time adventurer.

i've been a fossil hunter, relic hunter, artifacts, minerals. i have wanted to bottle hunt for a long time and have never really got to trying it and now that i'm about to make this new exciting journey i thought i'd say hello and i look forward to learning from you guys. the forum looks like a great resource and learning tool as well as everyones posts and knowledge.

i moved to north georgia this year and i'm enjoying it very much . i'd love to learn from you guys that have been doing this for some time. i really don't have a clue where to begin but i'm looking forward to it very much. i'd love to tag along sometime with anyone that would like some company and a hunting buddy in ga ,or areas around huntsville al, montgomery,al. and the nw south carolina area as well as the chattanooga tn area, and cumberland plateau.

i'm willing to travel up to 3-4 hours or more to meet up with anyone that can show me the ropes. i would do the driving and we can also use my truck when we meet if you choose to and spend my gas to reach any areas you are willing to help me with.

if anyone can share some locations with me i'd greatly appreciate it. not your honey hole just a place i might find a few. a hunting buddy to learn from would be ideal. i am willing to share some of my south carolina fossil locations for prehistoric shark teeth and pleistocene mammal fossils.. south carolina has some of the best fossil shark teeth in the united states and location info is kept pretty secret as i know bottle hunting spots will be too. i just don't ask for something without offering something in return. i also never divulge info given to me and know proper etiquette when someone shares a locale.

i'd also share a few georgia invertebrate fossil locations. these locations would give the beginner fossil hunter a great advantage. it took me quite a few years to find the locations i would be willing to share with anyone kind enough to share some bottle hunting spots. i'd be giving this information because i know the value of hands on with someone who has the knowledge and experience.

i'm not really picky as to type of bottle hunt. digging, walking, privies would all be great. i just want to learn techniques and knowledge from the pros or beginners wanting a buddy. and beginners willing to share and are just looking for a hunting buddy, i'd love to join the hunt. hope to learn a lot from everyone here and can't wait to find my first old bottle. anytime i've found anything in the past its become an addiction and i'm sure bottle hunting is the same. hope to meet some of you guys in the future. happy hunting.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you seem very enthusiastic! [:)]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello ga_collector, Welcome!
The number one thing to learn is how to identify and know Mouth Blown Bottles. One of the best things to learn is how to identify the pontil marks.
#1 When a bottle has a round ring of glass on the bottom, it is telling us that the ring was made by having an empontiling done with the previous blow pipe with neck glass left on the end of that blow pipe. The diameters (inside and outside) will be about the same as the neck of the bottle under the finish. So this is a Blow pipe or Open Tube Pontil, on the bottom of your bottle. That previous blowpipe was laid on a rack by the glory hole to keep that glass tube end hot enough to stick to the next bottle. These are often referred to as: an open pontil but that is up to the collectors’ use of words.
#2 When the bottle has a contact mark on the bottom that illustrates that what was used to empontil it, that mark will be a round form with different textures in the mark. The mark is made by an iron punty rod and the diameter and style is different for: small to huge heavy glass bottles. These heated punty rods were often soft coated with a sticking agent like: graphite, red lead or white lead . The coated punty is then placed in; an open boxes with: powdered iron, glass chips, glass dust, sand, to mention the main ones. It is then stuck on the bottom of the new bottle to become a handle for the bottle-maker to apply glass to the neck of the empontilled bottle.
Some punties are even just coated with some hot glass from the melting crucible. Identifying the exact method of empontiling is not as important as just realizing it has been on a punty rod.
#3 Now the last thing to look at is the finish on top of the bottle you are thinking of keeping.
If the finish was applied hot glass it will be just a ring of glass or it might have lines going around it and down on the neck of the bottle indicating that a pinch action tool had been inserted in the neck and the hot glass rotated to shape the hot glass, that was put on the neck. In this looking at your bottle or jar – if you see two vertical mold lines on that finish – then it was made on an ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine) and left for a future collector. The only exception is if the bottle is a unique figural or has some other indications of being a collectors item. This will come after you have more experience. This is no doubt enough to get you on a good road. Clarence RED Matthews
My email: <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>
My homepage: http:www.bottlemysteries.com/welcome

pinxbinx

Reaction score
I'm in South Georgia and new to collecting. I recently bought a metal detector because it is fun to discover things. I've mostly found bottles from the 70's and old farm equipment parts though. I am not sure where else to look either since I'm new to this. Unfortunately, I'm a married younger female and haven't found any girls in the area that like to hunt for bottles and relics and such. My husband isn't into it... I wish I could get him into it because then I'd be more comfortable finding groups to go with and I know he'd have fun if he found something really cool.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and to GA.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pinxbinx

I'm in South Georgia and new to collecting. I recently bought a metal detector because it is fun to discover things. I've mostly found bottles from the 70's and old farm equipment parts though. I am not sure where else to look either since I'm new to this. Unfortunately, I'm a married younger female and haven't found any girls in the area that like to hunt for bottles and relics and such. My husband isn't into it... I wish I could get him into it because then I'd be more comfortable finding groups to go with and I know he'd have fun if he found something really cool.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and to GA.
Welcome to this place.
The above is kind of a switch, not unheard of but different. There are more than a few gals here but I can't think of a Georgia gal off hand.
I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but I hope your husband doesn't read the "Unfortunately, I'm a married younger female" part. If you want I can edit that for you, just let me know. [:D][:D]

pinxbinx

Reaction score
Yeah, not unfortunately I'm married. I meant more like unfortunately as a married girl it wouldn't be right to go digging with a bunch of men... [sm=lol.gif] If he enjoyed it, then I could go with a group with him too. If I found a group with girls and guys, then it would be different, but I haven't seen any girls in the area or in GA. BTW, we'll be married 11 years this month! :-D

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I think it is best that my wife doesn't like digging for bottles. If she did,she did I in-vision this - - - - "you are digging that bottle out all wrong" "A puce eagle! we need a new stove" " I get first pick" "hurry up! I want to get in that use layer!" i COULD GO ON AND ON [8D]

NO THANKS[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum