Hello from Bluegrass country

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DLBrown1168

Reaction score
Arrowhead collector from Henderson Co., KY, but do come across many old and unique bottles, marbles, etc. in my travels. Interesting to see the group's collections and discussions.

willong

Reaction score
Arrowhead collector from Henderson Co., KY, but do come across many old and unique bottles, marbles, etc. in my travels. Interesting to see the group's collections and discussions.
Welcome to the site!

I'm hoping you will share some photos of your finds.

Keep an eye open for old glass shards too when you walk freshly plowed fields searching for points. Concentrated in one area, glass, pottery and brick bits could mean that cultivation is cutting the top layer of an old buried trash dump or even a privy pit. At the edge of a field near ravines, woods, stone dumps or bluff areas the bits could lead you to a concentrated dump area just outside the plowed boundary. This is especially true if glass shards are turned up by cultivation where it crosses the downslope portion of a hillside ravine. Such gully mouths or deltas could have disgorged bottles washed down by heavy rains or even floods in the past. Woodchuck burrows are worth a quick peek too, along with areas rooted up by hogs, as I suspect you already investigate such sites in your quest for arrowheads.

DLBrown1168

Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

I'm hoping you will share some photos of your finds.

Keep an eye open for old glass shards too when you walk freshly plowed fields searching for points. Concentrated in one area, glass, pottery and brick bits could mean that cultivation is cutting the top layer of an old buried trash dump or even a privy pit. At the edge of a field near ravines, woods, stone dumps or bluff areas the bits could lead you to a concentrated dump area just outside the plowed boundary. This is especially true if glass shards are turned up by cultivation where it crosses the downslope portion of a hillside ravine. Such gully mouths or deltas could have disgorged bottles washed down by heavy rains or even floods in the past. Woodchuck burrows are worth a quick peek too, along with areas rooted up by hogs, as I suspect you already investigate such sites in your quest for arrowheads.
Thanks for the response and advice. I do come across many old house sites down in the river bottoms, some from the late 1800's, that were razed many years ago and the ground is now a part of large agricultural(corn, beans, tobacco, etc.) fields. Needless to say, very few bottles or glass survive the plow but, occasionally find clay to modern marbles, coins, and the such. Come across many more in-tact bottles/jugs when walking creeks.
I posted a buddy's recent find under the "After 1900's" forum that is related to our hometown, if you'd like to take a look........Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac