Hello from Philly Suburbs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dishnpj

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I'm Jeanne. I am not a collector but have found myself in the position of having a lot of jars, beer bottles, and medicine bottles from a relative's barn clean out a few years ago. Long story short, Uncle who inherited everything was an alcoholic and lost the property. Grandparents were old German and didn't believe in passing anything to daughters so my mom and her sisters got nothing. When my Uncle died, the new owner gave my Mother 2 weekends to get in there and take what she wanted.
This stuff has sat in my basement for years because I've been too busy with family and work to deal with them. But the time has come. While I appreciate and will keep a few gems, I don't have a passion to collect these. When we brought them home, it was solely because the new owner was going to throw them all into the dump on the property. In truth, I needed a large moving truck to take everything home . My Grandparent's never threw anything away and this was a huge farm in Western PA with multiple barns and buildings. I couldn't bear letting this stuff go into a dump so I brought home what 2 car loads I could. What did get chucked by him pains me greatly. The whole situation is a heartbreak but such is life.
I need to read a lot to see what these all are and find people who really appreciate them to take them off my hands. Some bottles have no markings but are very old. I have zero interest in putting them on Ebay for bidding out. No time for that and these weren't taken for a money making venture. I just have a serious appreciation for old things and couldn't allow what I was able to get home go to dump that no one could ever access on private property in a rural area.

Reactions: Len

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You have probably gotten several private messages already from members more local to you that want to see everything you have. Good luck with the disbursement.

yacorie

Reaction score
I was just in bucks county all last week - would have been happy to help you sort through it -

no matter what you do - post some pics. Older bottles with no markings could still hold value and fruit jarscan as well.

if you can post pics here - people could easily point out the gems

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Old canning jars are collectible, new ones are useful to anyone doing home caning. Milk bottles are highly collectible IF they have the name of the dairy. Generally, bottles without identifying marking, are hard to sell unless they are an unusual color. Age alone does not set value. E-bay is no indicator of value, unless you find several identical sold for similar prices. Hope this helps.

Dishnpj

Reaction score
I was just in bucks county all last week - would have been happy to help you sort through it -

no matter what you do - post some pics. Older bottles with no markings could still hold value and fruit jarscan as well.

if you can post pics here - people could easily point out the gems
Thanks much. Will do!

Dishnpj

Reaction score
Old canning jars are collectible, new ones are useful to anyone doing home caning. Milk bottles are highly collectible IF they have the name of the dairy. Generally, bottles without identifying marking, are hard to sell unless they are an unusual color. Age alone does not set value. E-bay is no indicator of value, unless you find several identical sold for similar prices. Hope this helps.
I've already sold about 80 old Atlas and Ball jars with zinc and glass lids locally. Sold them for dirt cheap but when you have over 300 to get rid of... And that just the most I could have taken. Left hundreds more there. Also have milk bottles with names.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm curious what kind of Beer Bottles you have? or any Hutch's? LEON.

Dishnpj

Reaction score
HI Leon.
I have a Bradford Star blob top, Ed Hauer Erie, PA blob top, 2 light amber St. Mary's blob tops, one green unmarked blob top and a 7 full bottles with labels and paper six carrier intact of Bergheim Beer (twist off top). I can take pictures if you are interested in seeing them.

yacorie

Reaction score
I've already sold about 80 old Atlas and Ball jars with zinc and glass lids locally. Sold them for dirt cheap but when you have over 300 to get rid of... And that just the most I could have taken. Left hundreds more there. Also have milk bottles with names.

look for ones with uncommon names, uncommon colors or weird lids,closures

hemihampton

Reaction score
HI Leon.
I have a Bradford Star blob top, Ed Hauer Erie, PA blob top, 2 light amber St. Mary's blob tops, one green unmarked blob top and a 7 full bottles with labels and paper six carrier intact of Bergheim Beer (twist off top). I can take pictures if you are interested in seeing them.

I don't go out of my way to collect PA Blob Beers but wouldn't mine seeing a Pic of them. The Bergheims probably to new for me. But if the Bergheims were Cans instead of Bottles I'd probably be Interested in them. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu