Hello from Seattle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Hello & Welcome to the Site, Post some pics of what you found? LEON.

willong

Reaction score
Im a novice collector with some bottles from an early1900’s logging camp but now I get my bottles SCUBA diving.
I've wanted to dive for bottles for about fifty years now, but experienced horrendous ear and sinus pain that I couldn't clear while free-diving to as little as 10 feet down. Land dumps that weren't extensively dug were already getting difficult to find back then (1971) in Washington State. Among other prospects, I figured that Lake Goodwin had good potential because a 1910 plat map showed saloons on it shoreline. (Goodwin has also produced some BIG Largemouth bass.) Many years later, I heard that divers did indeed do quite well recovering antique bottles there.

I've been thinking about investing in an underwater camera just to check out some prospects that I know about in WA. Do you have a dive partner or a surface tender that accompanies you? Or do you dive alone?

K6TIM

Reaction score
Im a novice collector with some bottles from an early1900’s logging camp but now I get my bottles SCUBA diving.
It's a great hobby have fun digging looking around for old bottles.

ohopdiver

Reaction score
I've wanted to dive for bottles for about fifty years now, but experienced horrendous ear and sinus pain that I couldn't clear while free-diving to as little as 10 feet down. Land dumps that weren't extensively dug were already getting difficult to find back then (1971) in Washington State. Among other prospects, I figured that Lake Goodwin had good potential because a 1910 plat map showed saloons on it shoreline. (Goodwin has also produced some BIG Largemouth bass.) Many years later, I heard that divers did indeed do quite well recovering antique bottles there.

I've been thinking about investing in an underwater camera just to check out some prospects that I know about in WA. Do you have a dive partner or a surface tender that accompanies you? Or do you dive alone?
Good to here from you. Can you dive with ear issues? Ever have a reverse block? How many cold water dives in past year? I'm usually solo and using a DPV when I go for bottles and the bottle fields are deep (110 - 135). But there are some shallow sites possible with a buddy but no bottle fields that I know of.

willong

Reaction score
Good to here from you. Can you dive with ear issues? Ever have a reverse block? How many cold water dives in past year? I'm usually solo and using a DPV when I go for bottles and the bottle fields are deep (110 - 135). But there are some shallow sites possible with a buddy but no bottle fields that I know of.
No, I can't dive with that much pain! So I don't have any dives in the past year, let alone cold water ones:eek:!

I always wondered if I could equalize the ear and sinus pressure with the additional pressure available from a SCUBA regulator, but I certainly could not do so with just a lung full of surface air. (I know the procedure--it simply didn't work for me.) Like I mentioned, about 10 or 12 feet was my limit, and even that was quite painful. Scuba investment was always too much, even the cost of classes, to lay out just to likely find out that I could not handle it. As late as about a dozen years ago, I looked into certification classes available through the Health, Morale and Welfare center on post at Fort Lewis when I worked there as a civilian--still too expensive with the non-refundable, up-front deposit required. I might build my own hookah compressor setup some day, buy a used regulator and give it a go to 30 feet. That would be enough to make a determination on ability to equalize. Moreover, 30 feet would probably be enough to reach most of the bottle in the lakes on my hit list.

Could you explain what a "reverse block" is please? Is that a medical procedure to dilate Eustachian tube?

I know this is a late reply. Hope you are still diving for bottles and will share some photos!

ohopdiver

Reaction score
Your questions should be handled by a qualified SCUBA instructor at any SCUBA shop.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi