Hello ! My name is Mike, i live in Edmonds WA.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hey Chiefbearheart!

Mike You're doing great! ... I love the home improvised tools. One of my first was a tine off an old wood rake. Cheap, easy to find, and not harmful to the bottle. The slightly curved tips were okay but not usable on those narrow neckers. For the smaller bottles an old dentist pic can also act as a retriever(Check HF, they may carry a cheap set.) If you don't want to use that paper towel anymore the plastic mesh from that bag of clementines/other fruit makes a decent swisher for your probe. ...Okay, I've never used Drano but being Italian-Am. I am naturally partial to vinegar. For some hazes it works great, (esp. post soaking). Others, not so much. Its cheap by the distilled gallon and is a good disinfectant. What the hay, its midnight and now I'm craving pasta and a salad.;) Mike, I can tell already you're a bottle guy. Let me tell you now, you + yours are going to enjoy a lot of great years in this superior American pastime.
--CT Len

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Hi Mike !
2021-04-24.png

Some tools other than your typical small shovel:
5687983_ep_1432312834_0.jpg

Hand cultivator. Smooth even the slightest rough edge. Never get the fine point ones.

deer-antler-grey-4-point-detail.jpg

Deer antler for when you find a bottle and need to get it out. Don't saw the first tine off but the other two. The first is handy for a finger. Sand and smooth where they have been cut. Sand the whole antler down so it is smooth and wont scratch bottles.

07GT-11-3_TBI_hand_trowel_stainless_steel_.jpg

Also for digging a bottle out. Make sure no edges that could rub against the bottle are painted (in general just buy a silver one) and smooth out any rough edges.

A 3 or 4 foot is typically the one used.

Reaction score
Hi Mike !
View attachment 224012
Some tools other than your typical small shovel:
View attachment 224013
Hand cultivator. Smooth even the slightest rough edge. Never get the fine point ones.

View attachment 224014
Deer antler for when you find a bottle and need to get it out. Don't saw the first tine off but the other two. The first is handy for a finger. Sand and smooth where they have been cut. Sand the whole antler down so it is smooth and wont scratch bottles.

View attachment 224024
Also for digging a bottle out. Make sure no edges that could rub against the bottle are painted (in general just buy a silver one) and smooth out any rough edges.

A 3 or 4 foot is typically the one used.
Wow! Thank you but im in trouble already. I've washed and cleaned about 40 bottles already with tap water, dish soap and windex and yellow and green scratchy pads!I'm not sure that any of these are really old by some have threads for cap and some dont, so I've ordered some corks on ebay!!

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you but im in trouble already. I've washed and cleaned about 40 bottles already with tap water, dish soap and windex and yellow and green scratchy pads!I'm not sure that any of these are really old by some have threads for cap and some dont, so I've ordered some corks on ebay!!
and those are wonderful tools and advice you've recommended to me . thank you very much.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
It’s okay. As long as they aren’t too old or valuable. Just make sure you follow my steps in the future.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I never thought about using ANTLER for a tool. Interesting.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu