HELP! Can this label be saved???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
I had an unfortunate accident and broke this 1940 Chicago beer bottle. I would like to salvage the label from it. Anyone know how to successfully save the label or should I just cry, throw it away and move on? It's glued on pretty good. Thanks!
Cryer.JPG
Cryer.JPG

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Moistening where the ends glue together may help. They don't usually put much glue on labels at this point. You may want a razor blade to slip between the paper and glass too as you try to peel.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
First off - so sorry to see this - it sucks... I know..
I'd say try steaming the label off using a large pot and an inch of water on the bottom place a colander inside the pot, place the bottle in the colander, bring the water up to a slow boil and set a lid on the pot. Don't let the label actually sit in water. Wait about five minutes and check it. pot holders or chefs glove are recommended. best of luck.
Fred

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Thank you Yacorie and Robby for the advice! I first tried the hair dryer but I think this glue was just too old to budge, so next I saw that indeed the label was glued only on each side (about 1.5 ") so I soaked each side in a tiny bit of water and then using a nice sharp single-sided razorblade and working real close to the glass, I was able to coax the label off without any real damage. I will find a similar bottle to affix it, although the neck label was destroyed when the bottle broke. Fred - your idea came after I did the above but it sounds like it would work, I will try that next time. Thank you also!
SS858005.JPG

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Success! I was gonna say a teakettle. Just steam like treeguyfred said. That and a razor blade like Robbyraccoon mentioned. I have had labels loosen up just putting really hot water in the bottle and letting it sit for a couple of minutes.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Super news! Great label, definitely worth saving! Robbybobby's suggestion has worked for me with newer labels.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Success! I was gonna say a teakettle. Just steam like treeguyfred said. That and a razor blade like Robbyraccoon mentioned. I have had labels loosen up just putting really hot water in the bottle and letting it sit for a couple of minutes.

Robby, a question.
Would using really hot water somehow hurt the color on the label? I used room temperature water on the glued ends because I thought hot water may fade the color, i don't know.
I do like the idea of steaming the label off, I may try that on a junk bottle sometime - just in case I ever have another accident, lol.

Thanks again, everyone!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Use the least amount of water possible. Hot works faster and has less chance of saturating and ruining the label with cold. Practice on a crap bottle. I have had labels come off with just hot water in the bottle and no steam. Some, not all glues react to heat. It makes the adhesive gummy again. Trial and error. Water stains are always a problem if the label is older.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch