Help dating a blob top bottle without seam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BajaTerry55

Reaction score
I recently found this glass bottle buried in the mud at low tide on a remote beach in the Gulf of California near La Paz, Mexico. Bottle is 26 cm height and 6.5 cm diameter at base. Color light bluish green and very frosted and scratched from long time in marine environment. Applied blob top which has an uneven, drip bottom edge. No visible seam or embossing. However, there are three faint concentric rings that go completely around the bottle that I can feel with my finger between the base and the shoulder. My best guess is that this is a soda water or beer bottle made sometime before 1900. Can someone help me identify and date this bottle?

Attachments

• Tapered lip Bottle1.jpg
    Tapered lip Bottle1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 489
  • Tapered lip Bottle top.jpg
    Tapered lip Bottle top.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 360
  • Tapered lip Bottle concentric rings.jpg
    Tapered lip Bottle concentric rings.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 288
  • Tapered lip Bottle shoulder.jpg
    Tapered lip Bottle shoulder.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 291
  • Tapered lip Bottle base.jpg
    Tapered lip Bottle base.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 284
Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I love the sea glass look to the bottle. Totally personalized by the ocean. Someone may recognize the bottle by the 3 rings, i don't. I first thought a big florida water bottle. Hard to tell without any embossing. I would say it is still a great find and a keeper in my opinion. Thanks for the pictures Terry.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Hello Terry, welcome to Antique Bottles.net. I do think the bottle is nifty looking with the sand / surf satin finish. I'm glad to not know though if it was a sought after bottle, because the surf damage is irreversible. My gal and I would use the bottle as a vase for cut flowers.
So, about the details that we know... I did the calculations and it turns out to be a somewhat standard size "Blob" top beer or soda, approximately 9 to 10" in height and approximately 2 1/2 to 2 3/4" in diameter. We collectors of this type of bottle call that top an applied(you got that part right -on) Blob top. I'm wondering about the thre rings...do they go completely around the circumference? or are they partially around? They could be remnants of the embossing almost completely worn off. So, much of your ideas about this bottle is pretty square on... but the applied blob lip is indicating an earlier than 1900 fabrication for most of the USA.
Fun post thank you for sharing!
~Fred

treeguyfred

Reaction score
So Terry, just for clarification, in the bottle collecting world these two bottles show what is considered applied tapered tops...
IMG_6889.JPG

sandchip

Reaction score
If there are no mold lines or "seams" and you're seeing faint horizontal lines, then it was most likely blown in at turn mold and would probably date 1880-1890. More than likely a beer.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
If there are no mold lines or "seams" and you're seeing faint horizontal lines, then it was most likely blown in at turn mold and would probably date 1880-1890. More than likely a beer.
Sandchip just posted a very good idea, that occurred to me while I was posting replies to another unrelated post! Bravo

BajaTerry55

Reaction score
I love the sea glass look to the bottle. Totally personalized by the ocean. Someone may recognize the bottle by the 3 rings, i don't. I first thought a big florida water bottle. Hard to tell without any embossing. I would say it is still a great find and a keeper in my opinion. Thanks for the pictures Terry.
Thanks for your reply. There are barnacles on one side. Should I not remove them?

BajaTerry55

Reaction score
Hello Terry, welcome to Antique Bottles.net. I do think the bottle is nifty looking with the sand / surf satin finish. I'm glad to not know though if it was a sought after bottle, because the surf damage is irreversible. My gal and I would use the bottle as a vase for cut flowers.
So, about the details that we know... I did the calculations and it turns out to be a somewhat standard size "Blob" top beer or soda, approximately 9 to 10" in height and approximately 2 1/2 to 2 3/4" in diameter. We collectors of this type of bottle call that top an applied(you got that part right -on) Blob top. I'm wondering about the thre rings...do they go completely around the circumference? or are they partially around? They could be remnants of the embossing almost completely worn off. So, much of your ideas about this bottle is pretty square on... but the applied blob lip is indicating an earlier than 1900 fabrication for most of the USA.
Fun post thank you for sharing!
~Fred
The concentric rings go completely around the bottle. Very faint so difficult to see in the image, but i can feel the rings as I slide my finger along the side of the bottle. First ring is 4 cm from the base, second ring is 3 cm above the first, and the third ring is 2.5 cm above the second ring. There may be more rings, but too faint to see or feel. I do not think it is embossing worn off because the three rings are visible completely around the bottle..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi