Help dating a blob top bottle without seam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BajaTerry55

Reaction score
So Terry, just for clarification, in the bottle collecting world these two bottles show what is considered applied tapered tops...View attachment 207487
I attached a close up photo of the top. I thought it was tapered because the mouth of the top is narrower than the base of the top which is unevenly applied, like a drip edge.

Attachments

• Close up of lip.jpg
    Close up of lip.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120

BajaTerry55

Reaction score
If there are no mold lines or "seams" and you're seeing faint horizontal lines, then it was most likely blown in at turn mold and would probably date 1880-1890. More than likely a beer.
Thank you very much. Anything you can tell me about the base?

Attachments

• Tapered lip Bottle base.jpg
    Tapered lip Bottle base.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 145

sandchip

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Anything you can tell me about the base?

Nothing much to add other than it being a smooth base, where the hot bottle was held by a snap or sabot while the top was finished.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I thought it was tapered because the mouth of the top is narrower than the base of the top which is unevenly applied, like a drip edge.
Yeah, it's cool Terry, I understood what you thought, no prob... but that's why I posted the tapered lips pic for you to see the difference. After you see a bunch of blob tops you will end up seeing the vast array of differing styles of blob tops. There are soooo many slight differences in the earlier hand formed blob tops- which is why there was an improved design where the tops were added to the bottle mold eventually.
~Fred

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky