Help identifying bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AdamMann

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thank you for the add! I'm hoping to get a little help identifying a bottle we found while snorkeling in the lake. It's a torpedo bottle, slightly aqua in color and has a few bubbles in the glass which suggests to me that it's older. Also has a K embossed closer to the bottom. A little backstory to the area I live, I'm in amherstburg Ontario and the lake where we found the bottle was an area for war back in 1812.

Attachments

• received_824462285599566.jpeg
    received_824462285599566.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 78

forro

Reaction score
it looks like a late 18 hundreds to turn of the century tear shaped torpedo bottle. they were usually use to hold mineral waters and were round bottomed so the cork would stay moist when laid on its side. They were often used as ballast in ships hulls and are not uncommon, but still a great find and a fun conversation piece.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
E0H_SYKXoAQ56WB.jpeg

E0H_SYSXoAAzxzJ.jpeg

Here is my favorite depiction of torpedo bottles in history. Two paintings by William Trood made in 1887 (should give you some context as to the age of the one you found). They shows the explosive uncorking of a torpedo bottle by a mischievous puppy. The second painting is entitled "A Suprising Result".

And here is an apparatus that torpedoe bottles fit into back in the day, note the date written on the bottom corner:
E0H_SYPWQAkPccK.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94