Help IDing an early blob-top

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd believe that's probably from Cleveland. Leisy was pretty big in Ohio. Opened in 1873 & they closed in 1959 & made Beer cans in Cone Tops & Flat Tops. LEON.

P.S. Does it look like it may say Isaac in front of Leisy?

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
I believe that top is called a "sloping collar" not a blob.
Yeah, I figured it had a different name than blob, do you know what time period these "slope-collars" were used? It looks more like an early whiskey bottle top.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
That Brewery existed with that name from 1882-1893. I'd suspect the bottle is from that Time frame. I call about any old Beer Bottle that predates the crown top a blob top, even baltimore loops. may not be correct as far as some are concerned but to me they are just different kind or shapes of blobs but still blobs. Just my 2 cent opinion? others may vary. LEON.

bottlecrazy

Reaction score
Issac Leisy.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Wait - he bought a brewery in the 1870s for $120,000? Surely there're some misplaced zeros there? If not, that's one HECK of a brewery!

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
That Brewery existed with that name from 1882-1893. I'd suspect the bottle is from that Time frame. I call about any old Beer Bottle that predates the crown top a blob top, even baltimore loops. may not be correct as far as some are concerned but to me they are just different kind or shapes of blobs but still blobs. Just my 2 cent opinion? others may vary. LEON.
Pretty much the same way I feel about the term used prior top crown top bottles....I still find it odd that I can't even find an image of this time period bottle, not even in early advertising.

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Sloping collars are usually on whiskeys or other non-carbonated liquids. Could be from the late 1800s to yesterday. Sodas and beers had thicker tops (and thicker glass) so the top could be secured better.

Wildcat Wrangling Kat

Reaction score
No, what's left of it is how I found it, I need to look closer in the area where I found it to see if any more of it is still there. The spot it was in is not the easiest place to get into and dig, kinda an awkward stance because of the terrain where this dump site is located....frigg'n briars, along with mud, a water run off, a ditch running through, and on a hillside, if you can imagine all that in one small spot...lol

It’s a glamorous hobby- then u get to take them home and clean them, always a big mess for me! Someone should start a 12 step program here- or maybe a patch or something. Sick people here...My people! Represent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18