Help stop this scamer on ebay!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mike O

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I don't know this gut at all. I have bought a dozen bottles from him and EVERY sale was great! He has 3600 feedbacks with a 99.9% rateing! I don't know if he is telling the truth or not BUT!!!!!!!
I have dug clear bottles that have turned purple. also ther have been many threads out here about this subject and from what I have red this is a natural thing to turn purple. I have just looked at his newest listing a purple mason jar and it seems that he has described it well! So that is my 2 cents.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hi Lee,
My wife bought an altered whiskey from Letsgolibby as a present for me.
When I received it (2 months later)) for my birthday, I knew instantly it had been altered. However, my wife didn't know anything about it when she won on ebay.
The seller told her that he just made the bottle turn purple faster and that it would be that way over time if exposed to natural sunlight.
I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was an altered fake, so it sits on my bottle shelf.
I have bought some bottles from him that weren't altered, but since this past auction with the fake colored bottle, I won't buy anything from him.
Here is an example of a buyer (my wife) who wasn't educated enough to understand that this bottle is a fake and almost worthless. She was ripped off.
Its almost impossible to stop this sort of selling on ebay. Ebay can be great or your worst nightmare.
However, your posting helps stop people from being ripped off. So, please keep posting scams when you see them. Thank you.
Stinger

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
There is a guy on ebay by the name diggerdave I believe and he alters his bottles. I was reading the description for a milk bottle he had for sale because people were going absolutely CRAZY over it. (The bottle was common too.) He stated that this bottle is really rare because it's purple and in all his years of collecting he's never seen one. I clicked on his other auctions to see what he had and there were a ton of common bottles turned purple going for 10, 15, 30 dollars. He claimed these to all be rare because of them being purple. I emailed him half a dozen times or so about altering his bottles and never got a response. I notice now in his description he states the bottles have been altered. It's a shame people will profit off of "uneducated" or newbie bottle collectors.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
hey digger brian,
i had a prob with digger dave about 10 -12 years ago. i used to dig with him. he wanted a ka-tonka brick and said he would trade me a ka-tonka bottle for it.i gave it to him and he put it in the trunk of his car.i had a witness to this. a few months later when istarted to ask for the bottle , he told me i never gave the brick to him.i havent dug with him after that.he is a very accomplished digger ,on of the best.with all the good stuff he digs i dont understand why he would miss lead folks . as you can see by his ebay listings that he is a deeply religous man. he is actually a preacher. purpling seems to have become a trend in the last few years. you can tell by the deepcolors that they are not natural.lets tell every bottle collector not to buy these kind of bottles, and maby the trend will go away.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune Jeff. It's amazing that someone could be so dishonest, not too mention someone who is a disciple of the Lord!!

JGUIS

Reaction score
I just read the other day about how quartz crystals that start out white or clear, can turn rose or amethyst in the sun depending on their manganese content. HUH, sand is made from what? Mostly pulverized quartz? Seems this process is a little more natural than some like to admit.[;)]

poisons4me

Reaction score
Bottles with mag. content were popular until the teens range and was origially added to clear the aqua out of glass,it worked,the completly natural side affect is the color turn.This can happen with sunlight and does with lots of bottles the difference is they speed up the process,it in no way makes it fake at all.want to stop some true fake artists...go after some of the people selling RIP coffin poisons!!not only are they from the 1970s,they never held anything and a bottle like them was never made,so they are not even repros!!they are fake fake and fake,but fools pay up to 100.00 for them because they are listed in 1900 area and "we dont know how old it is" come on.Purple bottles that have been speed turned however the method is fine as long as its an old bottle in described condition and stated that the turning process has been hastened.Finally 1 in 10000 will turn......stop it,i have found 10 or 15 sun colored in 1 dump,not at all uncommon,millions of bottles from that era with ma. will in some way turn its a NATURAL chemical reaction to ultraviolet rays/heat combination.

stinger haut

Reaction score
I guess this one just won't rest. I posted an eariler email about receiving one of these altered bottles as a present.
Its true that a bottle with the right mineral (manganese) will over time turn purple when exposed to sunlight. I have seen them myself. I am not an expert on this process, but from the few that I have seen that were artifically altered, they just don't like the ones that were altered by the sun.
However, the seller of my bottle did tell my wife that it was artifically altered. She just didn't know that this bottle wouldn't look very natural.
A lot of us, alter our bottles by many different means. I tumble my bottles to make them look better to me. This is another form of altering a bottle. Some repair them. Some collectors find tumbling a bottle to be not to their personal taste. I think that its O.K to alter bottles, but I think that you should disclose whatever information you have about what you have done.
Stinger

grime5

Reaction score
dr. pepper did use amber bottles too. not script i have 2 amber dr.peppers from corbin ky. has dr pepper on the bottom of the bottle. bought one about 10 yaers ago and a friend who works for the gas company dug one up last year and gave me. i saw another one at the knoxville bottle show around 5 years ago sell for around 100 dollars. hope i have helped. later greg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp