Help stop this scammer, a picture of an altered bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stinger haut

Reaction score
This is a picture of an artifically altered whiskey that was bought on ebay by my wife. It was disclosed to her that it was altered, but I found out from her that the seller that he wasn't up front with the information about it. My wife commented on the beauitful color and that is when he told her that it had been altered.
So, with this auction it wasn't disclosed in the description that the bottle was artifically altered. It was bought from letsgolibby last year
Stinger.

65E18D7D008A46EA929899029B560FB9.jpg

Attachments

• 65E18D7D008A46EA929899029B560FB9.jpg
    65E18D7D008A46EA929899029B560FB9.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 150

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
that bottle is DEFINATELY turned i could tell from across the room i hate it when people do this to bottles especially good ones in my opinion it is worth less after they have been turned than before i wouldnt give a wooden nickel for any of them i absolutely without a doubt HATE it just the thought of it gets my blood pumping

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hi Spencer,
This Stinger and as Warren pointed out that the bottle is a nice looking bottle, but it looks as fake as a wheaton replica.
I can say this now that my wife understands the difference between a bottle that been artifically altered and one that has the sun turned purple over time.
Until they can come up with a way to artifically make a bottle look as good as one that sun has altered it, I think their ugly. It should be disclosed when a bottle has been altered in anyway.
My wife agrees that she would have never bought it had she known the difference between the two. Needless to say she isn't happy.
I thank the form moderater for allowing me to post the picture, so that it would give collectors a chance for themselves to see an example of an artifically altered bottle.
stinger

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep, They should always list them correctly as altered. Alot of folks love that stuff because there is not way you will get on like that by the sun or they just like the color. It was not a common collor untill the late 1920s.

With fruit jars and soda bottles you can put them in the oven on very low temp for an hour or so and they will clear up. I Have never tried this any other kind of bottle only fruit jars and sodas.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
i guess i have a short temper i cant stand it i feel like they are just ruining bottles for no reason even if they can be returned to original state there just isnt any point in it i dont think i will ever buy one that has been altered like that unless it is considerably cheaper than it should be in which case i would turn it back like it is supposed to be i dont like it at all i wish they wouldnt do it i think its an abomination and an insult to the hobby and they are usually misrepresented which makes us look bad and gives us a bad reputation

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac