Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Help to ID a Kentucky Bourbon Bottle with a partial label.

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Wow, that's a really unusual bottle to be used for bourbon! I don't think I've ever seen any sort of American whiskey with a handle before. Unfortunately without any trace of a name on the label an ID will be pretty difficult, but hopefully someone on here has seen a bottle like that before. I honestly don't even have a good idea of age on this one, apart from probably dating to the latter half of the 19th century.

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
...I don't think I've ever seen any sort of American whiskey with a handle before...
For real? As knowledgeable as you are on bottles, that's shocking. There are several. R.B. Cutter, Bininger's Knickerbocker and Day Dream, Griffith & Hyatt, Chestnut Grove, Vidvard & Sheehan, W.B. Crowell Star, and the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
For real? As knowledgeable as you are on bottles, that's shocking. There are several. R.B. Cutter, Bininger's Knickerbocker and Day Dream, Griffith & Hyatt, Chestnut Grove, Vidvard & Sheehan, W.B. Crowell Star, E&B Bevan IXL, and the list goes on and on.
Huh, somehow I must have missed them. American liquor bottles definitely aren't my specialty, but I'd thought I'd seen a pretty good sampling of them on here over the years.

RLM Stamps

Jan 15, 2020
Thank you for all of the replies. So no one so far recognizes the maker. After reading a few threads on this site,
I saw that there are several books by Michael Polak. I called my library to check availability and they are bringing one in for me next week.

Would anyone be able to give a range of value on this bottle?

RLM Stamps

Jan 15, 2020
Since I had no idea what a pontil mark was, I looked it up on Wikipedia and now understand your question.
I do not feel any mark but do see a bubble inside. I read these pontil marks can be obliviated. I do see a line up the side that looks like a possible seam. I took a few more pictures that may help
CIG_IMG002.jpg
CIG_IMG005.jpg
CIG_IMG006.jpg

Old Wiltshire

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire UK
-
HI, Your bottle is one of the many types used by A.M Bininger of New York.
An example with a complete label is shown below.

-

-

-

Jim Bender, the FOHBC historian, published what is probably the current definitive catalogue of Bininger bottles in 2017.
At that time he listed your particular bottle as BPK-53 and described it as followa:

This is the only known bottle with this

Old Kentucky Bourbon label. It is also the
only known bottle of this shape with a handle

related to A.M. Bininger & Co.

-

-

I would recommend visiting Ferdinand Meyer's Peachridge Glass site which is
linked below to see some of the variety of bottles used by Biningers.

-

:)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMMITT06