Help with an iron pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me on a value on this Dr. Van Vleck. I am looking to set up a trade with another collector friend of mine who fell in love with it when he saw it on my shelf. We both want to make a legitimate trade. No damage and normal aqua. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Dr_VanVleck_Pontilled_1.jpg
    Dr_VanVleck_Pontilled_1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 385
  • Dr_VanVleck_Pontilled_2.jpg
    Dr_VanVleck_Pontilled_2.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 366

Flasks

Reaction score
No simple answer to a "value" unless there are past sales of this particular bottle. The buyer has specific reasons which may include pontil versus smooth base, condition of bottle, eye appeal, rarity, important for his collection, maybe even color. Ask your collector friend what he'd pay (before walking away) for that bottle if he saw it at a flea market with no price tag. If he is truly your friend, and he is honest , he'll tell you. Now try and balance that figure with your investment or labor in attaining this bottle, what it means to you, and what THAT amount comes to. Balance the two figures and if they are reasonable close, go for it. Basically, value is in the eyes of the beholder. Being a Pittsburgh embossed, and made bottle, the value or desirability in Arizona might be 1/10th of what it would be in Western Pa. Just my 2 cents worth

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This gives me an idea of how to approach this..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu