Help with dispute!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Cyberdigger
Nice flask there. Sorry can't tell ya anything about it other than it's a real cool piece . Been to the Attic circle myself .Even made a jump there wasn't directly on the pole but with in the circle I know .The air is very thin there and cold you would not believe .Fell like a rock and the ice is like hitting a brick .Was left there to call Chinooks in and like to froze to death .Attic temp +Prop wash you will freeze .That would look good beside my opposite pole piece .
bill

6CE1B2F1BB7D4BCD84E2FFF9D46CA46B.jpg

Attachments

• 6CE1B2F1BB7D4BCD84E2FFF9D46CA46B.jpg
    6CE1B2F1BB7D4BCD84E2FFF9D46CA46B.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 93

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey Bill.. yeah, they would look good side by side! I'll tell you something about this bottle that I find pertainent.. that the Perry discovery was in 1909, so that's the earliest it could possibly have been made.. but it's hand-finished.. so there goes my long-held supposition that 1903 was the ABM demarcation line. I would love to know at exactly what time the last hand-tooled lip was born.. aside from the obvious exceptions,.. just to know when I can finally say that an original hand-finished bottle is definitely 100 years old.

Tony14

Reaction score
I have a local hutch from 1914 and a one of a kind blob beer with a date code for 1916 on it so there were cases of tooled tops into the teens at least. oh and nice bottle!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Hey, I always wondered if there were any others out there. I have one also, have had it for many, many years.
I believe the North Pole referance is correct for the bottle.
What I always enjoyed about this flask is the person has the American flag in one hand, and a bottle (flask?) in the other.
Do not believe the 1903 date, the slug plate bottles were hand finished up into WWI. The small runs of bottles produced with the slug plates were more easily done by hand. To set up a machine to make 100 bottles was not pratical at first.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Naval Commander Robert Peary announced to the world that he had reached the North Pole on Sept 5th, 1909. The North Pole was the "last" attainable challenge facing man, at that time. Not long after his announcement, Frederick Cook announced that his party had reached the Pole on April 21st, 1908, a year earlier. Cook was not able to provide proof and Peary scoffed at him. The world went along with Peary, especially after Cook was subsequently found guilty of mail fraud.
To this day, Peary's claim is still disputed (he never produced paper diaries/logs), but the bottle was issued in something like 1911, to commemorate the dispute and it depicts Peary discovering the North Pole and his claim to it.
Bill

There is a write-up on that flask in a 1995 Bottle mag, I just can't find it

towhead

Reaction score
Pictures of clear, embossed bottles come out pretty good for me when I put them on the deck or porch railing, get a little lower than the bottle and point thru the bottle to the sky at an upward angle....

druggistnut

Reaction score
I found the article, or writeup. It's in the "Digger McDirt" column (page 50) of the May 1995 issue of Antique Bottle & Glass Collector magazine.
Bill

div2roty

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Hey Bill.. yeah, they would look good side by side! I'll tell you something about this bottle that I find pertainent.. that the Perry discovery was in 1909, so that's the earliest it could possibly have been made.. but it's hand-finished.. so there goes my long-held supposition that 1903 was the ABM demarcation line. I would love to know at exactly what time the last hand-tooled lip was born.. aside from the obvious exceptions,.. just to know when I can finally say that an original hand-finished bottle is definitely 100 years old.

There is evidence that a Delaware company made hutches around 1920, I just can't remember the exact date.

annienme

Reaction score
Naval Commander Robert Peary announced to the world that he had reached the North Pole on Sept 5th, 1909. The North Pole was the "last" attainable challenge facing man, at that time. Not long after his announcement, Frederick Cook announced that his party had reached the Pole on April 21st, 1908, a year earlier. Cook was not able to provide proof and Peary scoffed at him. The world went along with Peary, especially after Cook was subsequently found guilty of mail fraud.
To this day, Peary's claim is still disputed (he never produced paper diaries/logs), but the bottle was issued in something like 1911, to commemorate the dispute and it depicts Peary discovering the North Pole and his claim to it.
Bill

There is a write-up on that flask in a 1995 Bottle mag, I just can't find it
I have just acquired an example, and also have one of Adm. Byrd's Antartic flasks. Together they are very neat.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis