Help with Hobbleskirt ID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd speculate Root was assigned the first Hobbleskirt Cokes instead of Graham because they were the ones to come up with the new Hobble Skirt Design. Maybe a first year run for them was a fringe benefit of that design? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys

graybeal = I couldn't find another 1915-30 Root bottle from New Bern, N.C. but I did find one from Farmville, Va. I'm still not sure what the story is about them and can only speculate that Root may have been in a pinch and used every mold at their disposal and added the 30 to some of their 1915 molds. Speaking of molds, baseplates with the city/state were interchangeable and it's possible that your New Bern bottle and the Farmville bottle were made from the same mold. I haven't compared them to see if that might be the case but will later.

Leon = I agree that Root is the most likely candidate for the early hobble-skirts. At some point we should look for some more hobble-skirts and see if there are any besides Root that used some type of date or code for 1917. Like I said earlier, I have given up the search for any 1916 hobble-skirts but there might be some more 1917s.

baseballed = Thanks for the compliment. Glad you are enjoying this "novel." Be sure and stick around because you never know what twist and turns the plot will encounter next or how it will end.

Bob

Attachments

• Coca Cola Root 30 Farmville Virginia (2).jpg
    Coca Cola Root 30 Farmville Virginia (2).jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Coca Cola Root 30 Farmville Virginia (Heel).jpg
    Coca Cola Root 30 Farmville Virginia (Heel).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 50

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here are the two Root-30 side-by-side for comparison ...

Attachments

• Root 30 Heel graybeal New Bern.jpg
    Root 30 Heel graybeal New Bern.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Root 30 Farmville Virginia (Heel).jpg
    Root 30 Farmville Virginia (Heel).jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 54

SODABOB

Reaction score
Even though this is a newer mold it will give you some idea of how they looked with the removable base plate. This particular mold was for an Alburquerque, N.M. bottler and what appears to be a C-circle for the Chattanooga Glass Co.

Attachments

• Coca Cola Machine Mold Alburqurque (2).jpg
    Coca Cola Machine Mold Alburqurque (2).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 56

SODABOB

Reaction score
Even though my bottle is a Root 17 and the newspaper bottle is from 1916, I still wonder if they are the same bottle and there are no actual 1916 bottles.

Attachments

• Coca Cola Root 17.JPG
    Coca Cola Root 17.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Coca Cola New Bottle Tampa_The_Tampa_Tribune_Sun__Nov_12__1916_.jpg
    Coca Cola New Bottle Tampa_The_Tampa_Tribune_Sun__Nov_12__1916_.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 50

graybeal

Reaction score
Speaking of molds, baseplates with the city/state were interchangeable and it's possible that your New Bern bottle and the Farmville bottle were made from the same mold.
I'd like to see the base of the Farmville, VA. The base of my New Bern is different from the typical arch city with thick letters that most early bases have. I don't believe I've seen another with the City straight across.

SODABOB

Reaction score
gb

The photo I posted for the Farmville bottle was the only one of the base/heel there was, and I haven't been able to find another one. As to the straight-across vs the arched city/state, that could have been left to the discretion of the bottler. To figure all of that out would be a study unto itself.

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
I discovered something interesting that pertains to the Columbus, Georgia hobble-skirts. Even though I was only able to find three examples of their 1915 bottles, every one of them was made by Root Glass. Columbus was one of the bottlers that illustrated a bottle in the November 1916 newspaper. Of the three examples I found I'm still trying to figure out when they were made. However, even if they were made later than 1917, that at least tells us that Columbus got some of their early bottles from Root. I conducted a similar search for some early Tampa, Florida bottles but I haven't found anything yet.

Bob

Attachments

• Coca Cola Root Columbus Georgia (Patent 1915).jpg
    Coca Cola Root Columbus Georgia (Patent 1915).jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Coca Cola New Bottle Columbus_The_Columbus_Enquirer_Sun_Wed__Nov_15__1916_.jpg
    Coca Cola New Bottle Columbus_The_Columbus_Enquirer_Sun_Wed__Nov_15__1916_.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 48

SODABOB

Reaction score
One clue leads to another ...

Even though this Columbus, Georgia Coca Cola bottle is an older straight-side, I'm pretty sure it has Root on the heel. If it is a Root, then it might be an indication that they got a lot of their early bottles from Root - possibly even a 1917 hobble-skirt.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu