Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Help with pottery jug/bottle identification

harryr1961

Mar 8, 2009
I've dug a couple of these in San Francisco. They are 5" tall, and have a small spout for pouring. I'm guessing Sake, as they don't look like other American pottery. I have several Sake cups from the same region. Some kind of oil is my other guess. There are no markings, as it appears to be very utilitarian. The stopper is wood, and the original sealant, something whitish, is still present on the stopper and the spout. The age of bottles in the area run from mid 1800's to late 1800's. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

botlguy

I've heard these referred to as "Tiger Whiskey" jugs and I am sure they are Chinese. I believe it is correct that some did contain Soy Sauce. They are common and worth $5 - $10. Not much interest in them. I have seen similar pieces marked: "Federal Law Forbids .......... etc." I think those did not have a spout and now that I think about it the Tiger Whiskey jugs may not have had the spout.

surfaceone

Dec 9, 2008
Oops, Jim,

I zigged when I shoulda zagged. A smaller image is
From.

I think Dave/canada has got it eggs ackley. Depends on one's spelling though. Is it soy, shoyu, soya, or something completely different. I certainly enjoyed some last night at Half Price Sushi night, and the little decorative soy sauce dispensers even resembled the pot in form, despite it being a quasi Japanese establishment.

Henry's looks like a remarkably clean one. Hey Henry, welcome to this place. Please do show us some more great stuff.

TROG

Sep 27, 2004
South Australia
The bottle is definitely for Soy Sauce and are usually found in the 1870- 1890 period. They are relatively common here in Australia and bring approx $20-$25.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shealove