Help with unknown pic#2 (also see help unkown)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E

Reaction score
Hi, Taz and Comander both sound good. My first though was that shoud have a brother joined with it for possible insulator, thanks you guys will research your suggestions.

Dave

medbottle

Reaction score
Hi Dave. I don't have an answer about your object, but I have a question for Taz. Taz, do either of your inks have a small "v" shaped hole on the outter edge, close to the flatter side?

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Andy why yes! Do you have a similar example? Taz

Ge94826.jpg

Attachments

• Ge94826.jpg
    Ge94826.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 87

claire3798

Reaction score
Hi there all. I think you will find that these are early fly traps. Cheers[:-]

medbottle

Reaction score
Greetings all. Taz, sorry I didn't answer you sooner...I check the forum when work allows, and I missed your reply. The piece with the notch on the edge is actually an early breast pump, pre-dating the ones that look like a little tuba with the rubber bulb. The notch/hole alowed the woman to apply suction to the device as it was held against the breast. Once a vacuum was made, her finger could be slipped over the hole to maintain it and removed to release. I believe this design was used during the Civil War, but I don't know how long before or after that time. You could probably find the details on the internet, but be careful how you phrase those search parameters....you might end up on a site you didn't expect!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Thanks Andy! The guy I got it from didn't really know what it was for and we assumed it was a ink... Then I got to wondering from the last reply if maybe it wasn't a early ant "cup" lol Thanks for your help! Taz[:)]

Pontiled

Reaction score
Yep! It's definitely an early breast pump! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this earlier.

My wife, Bunny, was an advanced collector of early nursing bottles and related "go-with." So, when in doubt, ask the boss!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
I was thumbing through Grand old American Bottles By Dr Larry Freeman today and yikes there it was!! You guys wern't fooling about that breast milk pump thing, lol Here is a pix from the book, it is called breast pipes... Taz[:D]

Ki20401.jpg

Attachments

• Ki20401.jpg
    Ki20401.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member