Here's a wierd one, any ideas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
I got it from an antique store in NH, but I know it was a local thing of some sort (imported probably) because a friend of mine dug a deep teal one here in Mass. The embossing reads:

DIE KEISSERLICHE PRIVILEGIRT ALTONATICHE W. KRONESSENTS

In a spiral down the bottle. It's small, 4" tall and an inch in diameter at the shoulder.

Anybody up on their old German?

Kh17714.jpg

Attachments

• Kh17714.jpg
    Kh17714.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 283

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Here's some info from a thread on this site from a while back.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_14879/mpage_1/anchor/tm.htm#14896

Cliff

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
I got this crude sand pontil one from a NH digger. The mold had a leak on the seam and some iron or impurity got into the glass gather apparently. The spiral embossing is the same as yours.

Cliff

Mk26881.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26881.jpg
    Mk26881.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 166

amblypygi

Reaction score
I've gotta learn to search before asking, huh? [:mad:]

A google search also lead to this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronessenz

From which it looks like some guy named Paul Claas got the emperor's permission in 1796 to sell his "wonder medicine" in these flasks. Sort of like the Turlington's. Cool, thanks for the help. It seems this was popular in New England (this makes 5 dug/found in NH or MA), but I've never heard of one from elsewhere.

Sean

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Kronessenz is to be understood as German translation about again-Latin tinctura coronata (or coronæ). See also tinktur and Essenz. 1796 received Paul Claas Menadie living in Hamburg Altona an imperial privilege for the Keisserliche privilegirt Altonatiche W. Kronessents (sic!). With this label it became high in lightgreen glasflaschen, about 10 cm, when miracle medicine spread sold (W stands for miracles) and world-wide. After Swedish sources the prescription has its origin in the "Elixir amarum Hjaerneri" (ad longam vitam) from Urban Hjaerne (Swedish physician, 1641-1724). Occurring schreibarten after different sources: The KEISSERLICHE PRIVILEGIRT ALTONATICHEW KRONESSENTS the Keisserliche privelegiert Altonatiche W. Kronessents the Keisserliche privelegierte Altonati W. Kronessents

Wundermedizin

i have no clue what some of it means.

richaroma

Reaction score
I have had the exact same bottle for about 20 years now. I found it in a backyard dig in South Australia.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Donald,

Welcome to the A-BN. Please do put up some photos of your Essence and tell us about the dig.

Hey Jay,

You went all fuzzy bottle on that one.

I think Dale / SAbottles recently gave the down low on these guys, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread...

Hey Dale...

LaneMay102.jpg

fl1010705_20091017_1507738983.jpg
They're everywhere...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac