Hey guys, any body ever seen this iron pontiled barrel shaped beer or brewery bottle from Belleville Illinois? Can only find reference to the brewery

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Johnny M

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna hold on to it for now. It's thick glass,shaped like a beer barrel and has ties to a known brewery from the time period being iron pontiled. They sold beer barrel shaped bottles in the 1960s and 1970s so the shape is familiar to the industry. Will keep you in mind

sandchip

Reaction score
I swear I saw one like it at auction a few years back, but I can't remember if the embossing was the same. Exceptional piece and one helluva score. Gotta be a rare one. I'd dang well put it on the shelf, too. Best bottle I've seen on ABN in a while!

Johnny M

Reaction score
Great form, great embossing, nice age with the iron pontil. Sounds like a good town as well. Awesome find, especially in with abms.

Jim G
Yeah. I was excited to find it but more so to introduce it to the bottle world where it will eventually find a safe and proper home. Looks to be a significant example for the hobby.

Johnny M

Reaction score
I swear I saw one like it at auction a few years back, but I can't remember if the embossing was the same. Exceptional piece and one helluva score. Gotta be a rare one. I'd dang well put it on the shelf, too. Best bottle I've seen on ABN in a while!
Yeah, I am proud to have rescued it from an old box being banged around and introduced it to the hobby.

DavidW

Reaction score
Hey guys, any body ever seen this iron pontiled barrel shaped beer or brewery bottle from Belleville Illinois? Can only find reference to the brewery as being established in the 1850's by the Herberer Brothers City Park Brewery in Belleville. This bottle is embossed: "T. Heberer (not Herberer) & Bros. Belleville Ills." Bottle has a smooth label panel under the name and the rest is paneled or sided like an actual barrel. Nice iron pontil too! A little sick inside only. An easy tumble and very heavy glass. Stands about 9 1/2" tall.
That bottle is shown in the book "Bottled in Illinois: Embossed bottles and bottle products of early Illinois merchants from Chicago to Cairo 1840-1880" (Kenneth B. Farnsworth and John A. Walthall, 2011) on page 119.
The Heberer brewery was in business from the 1850s until 1865 when the government shut it down when Adam Heberer was arrested for tax evasion. The brewery was later run by others and eventually shut down completely in 1873 (this is according to the info in the Farnsworth book). He estimated the bottle dated from around 1859.

Johnny M

Reaction score
Well there you have it. Wish I had that book or a pic of that page in it.Thanks so much for your response. Did the author have any guides as to how particularly rare it is? I had a response where a fellow claims to have seen a few of these.

Merle

Reaction score
Well there you have it. Wish I had that book or a pic of that page in it.Thanks so much for your response. Did the author have any guides as to how particularly rare it is? I had a response where a fellow claims to have seen a few of these.
There’s one for sale on eBay right now. 4 hrs left. I spent 75.00 on mine and looks like it gonna sale for al lot less than I paid

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch