Hey guys, any body ever seen this iron pontiled barrel shaped beer or brewery bottle from Belleville Illinois? Can only find reference to the brewery

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I had a rare bottle posted on here before, supposably only one known. Then you always get some clown say oh my buddy's dug 30 of those before or I had a privy full of them but left behind because broken or some story like that. It's gotta be a real tough one. Alot of Breweries from that time frame would just bottle there Beer in a recycled European Bottle & slap there own paper label on it. seen it done before. Not to many American & embossed Beer Bottles exist from 1850's in my opinion. Nice find. LEON.

Last edited:

Johnny M

Reaction score
I had a rare bottle posted on here before, supposably only one known. Then you always get some clown say oh my buddy's dug 30 of those before or I had a privy full of them but left behind because broken or some story like that. It's gotta be a real tough one. Alot of Breweries from that time frame would just bottle there Beer in a recycled European Bottle & slap there own paper label on it. seen it done before. Not to many American & embossed Beer Bottles exist from 1850's in my opinion. Nice find.

I had a rare bottle posted on here before, supposably only one known. Then you always get some clown say oh my buddy's dug 30 of those before or I had a privy full of them but left behind because broken or some story like that. It's gotta be a real tough one. Alot of Breweries from that time frame would just bottle there Beer in a recycled European Bottle & slap there own paper label on it. seen it done before. Not to many American & embossed Beer Bottles exist from 1850's in my opinion. Nice find. LEON.
Thanks. I wasn't trying to wave a cool bottle around to boast. I just rescued it from the world of non collectors and was seeking info on it. I figured it was good

hemihampton

Reaction score
Seeking Info, OK, Heres what I got. a 1858 & 1859 Illinois State Directory shows a list of Brewers & I see no Thomas Heberer. I do have a Illinois State Directory from 1868 that shows a Thomas Heberer as a Brewer. The Earliest I could find of him Brewing was from 1860. His Brothers were Adam & Henry.
IllinoisDirectory1858and9.JPG
IllinoisDirectory1868.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't trying to wave a cool bottle around to boast. I just rescued it from the world of non collectors and was seeking info on it. I figured it was good
Wasn't saying you were boasting, was trying to say alot of times when somebody has or finds a rare bottle some people wanta try to rain on your Parade by trying to imply it's not as rare as you think by saying they seen lots of them when they haven't. It's happened to me. LEON.

Johnny M

Reaction score
Seeking Info, OK, Heres what I got. a 1858 & 1859 Illinois State Directory shows a list of Brewers & I see no Thomas Heberer. I do have a Illinois State Directory from 1868 that shows a Thomas Heberer as a Brewer. The Earliest I could find of him Brewing was from 1860. His Brothers were Adam & Henry.View attachment 240240View attachment 240241
Thanks! Everybody has been very helpful. This is a great forum for us bottle heads! LOL

Johnny M

Reaction score
Wasn't saying you were boasting, was trying to say alot of times when somebody has or finds a rare bottle some people wanta try to rain on your Parade by trying to imply it's not as rare as you think by saying they seen lots of them when they haven't. It's happened to me. LEON.
Understood.Didnt mean to imply any offense from your comments.I know the scenario. First they say it's not too rare then they ask if you want to " get rid " of it in a quick sale before you are enlightened on its actual availability.

DavidW

Reaction score
There’s one for sale on eBay right now. 4 hrs left. I spent 75.00 on mine and looks like it gonna sale for al lot less than I paid
Johnny M, this book is written from a strict "archeology standpoint" and does not list rarity or suggest values. However, my vague "feel" is that the Heberer bottle is extremely rare. I would doubt there are no more than 5-6 in existence, and possibly only 3 or 4???? But is it very hard to know, since lots of collectors have bottles stashed away that no one else knows about, or they are secretive of what they own.
Idea: Maybe somebody should contact Dave Beeler (everybody knows him, he has dug in the St. Louis area for decades) so he might have a better idea on rarity onthe Heberer bottle.

I see no copies of that having been sold on ebay recently. There are only a handful of copies available on the web, and sadly there seems to be no plans to reprint the book. It sure seems like the publisher should print another batch of books (for the serious collector). I bought a copy several weeks ago and paid around $120.00 ( total including shipping and tax). Great book. And I don't have one single bottle in the entire book. I bought it just to add to my glass/bottle books reference collection.
Crammed full of great background info Most of the bottles shown are (I think) pretty rare, and many are older than what I typically see in the average antique store or bottle show.
Anyhow this book has 792 pages and is SO HEAVY if it was dropped on your head from a second floor window it would likely kill you.
Here are the copies still available (via bookfinder). I am NOT connected with the publisher or writer!! https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...o%2C%201840-1880%20studies%20in%20archaeology

Johnny M

Reaction score
Johnny M, this book is written from a strict "archeology standpoint" and does not list rarity or suggest values. However, my vague "feel" is that the Heberer bottle is extremely rare. I would doubt there are no more than 5-6 in existence, and possibly only 3 or 4???? But is it very hard to know, since lots of collectors have bottles stashed away that no one else knows about, or they are secretive of what they own.
Idea: Maybe somebody should contact Dave Beeler (everybody knows him, he has dug in the St. Louis area for decades) so he might have a better idea on rarity onthe Heberer bottle.

I see no copies of that having been sold on ebay recently. There are only a handful of copies available on the web, and sadly there seems to be no plans to reprint the book. It sure seems like the publisher should print another batch of books (for the serious collector). I bought a copy several weeks ago and paid around $120.00 ( total including shipping and tax). Great book. And I don't have one single bottle in the entire book. I bought it just to add to my glass/bottle books reference collection.
Crammed full of great background info Most of the bottles shown are (I think) pretty rare, and many are older than what I typically see in the average antique store or bottle show.
Anyhow this book has 792 pages and is SO HEAVY if it was dropped on your head from a second floor window it would likely kill you.
Here are the copies still available (via bookfinder). I am NOT connected with the publisher or writer!! https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=iVpOrtS1ORijJkgjQpMPUDC076Q_1664480045_1:1:1&bq=author=kenneth%20b%20farnsworth&title=bottled%20in%20illinois%20embossed%20bottles%20and%20bottled%20products%20of%20early%20illinois%20merchants%20from%20chicago%20to%20cairo%2C%201840-1880%20studies%20in%20archaeology
Wow. I appreciate your recommendations and advice. I'm sure it's rare due to age and belonging specific brewery.All respondents seem to agree. Im tickled to have plucked it from obscurity for collectors of these type of bottles. Sounds like a really good book to own if you are interested in bottles from that area particularly and it's certainly a great book just to have in a library.It sounds like a real intensive work and a commendable effort by the authors. Thanks for your input. Johnny M

stlouisbottles

Reaction score
The Bottle is Rare! I collect Belleville Illinois bottles and I’ve been looking for one. If you decide you want to sell it let me know. Are you local to the area?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi