Hi, from Shermans Dale Pa.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Old man digger

Reaction score
I have been collecting and digging since 1962. I am interested in all pre-1900 bottles. I like to save all the "QUACK" medicine bottles that I find that are in perfect shape.
When in the Canal Zone I dug many dumps from the 1850's all the way up till the 1890's. One of my favorite bottles is the J.J.W. Peters that has a dog with a bird in its mouth embossed on it. This is not the green case gin style that you see for sale once in awhile. This is the ovoid shaped dark amber bottle. I am looking for the what I call the sister bottle to this and I have included two photos of that bottle. It depicts a Game Cock riding a Penny-fathering type bicycle. If anyone has one of these bottles I would like to be contacted in reference to it. It comes in two colors one is a dark amber the other is a lighter amber, similar to the amber dog bottle.

Attachments

• Another Rooster vinicola.jpg
    Another Rooster vinicola.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Antique-Gin wine Bottle-circa-1880-Picture-of-Rooster.jpg
    Antique-Gin wine Bottle-circa-1880-Picture-of-Rooster.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 135

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I have been collecting and digging since 1962. I am interested in all pre-1900 bottles. I like to save all the "QUACK" medicine bottles that I find that are in perfect shape.
When in the Canal Zone I dug many dumps from the 1850's all the way up till the 1890's. One of my favorite bottles is the J.J.W. Peters that has a dog with a bird in its mouth embossed on it. This is not the green case gin style that you see for sale once in awhile. This is the ovoid shaped dark amber bottle. I am looking for the what I call the sister bottle to this and I have included two photos of that bottle. It depicts a Game Cock riding a Penny-fathering type bicycle. If anyone has one of these bottles I would like to be contacted in reference to it. It comes in two colors one is a dark amber the other is a lighter amber, similar to the amber dog bottle.
Cool looking bottle, are they rare

Old man digger

Reaction score
Cool looking bottle, are they rare
Well, I dug two when I was in the Canal Zone. But both were broken when they shipped my hold baggage home. Thankfully the three dog bottles made it without much damage. In fact the one is still in perfect condition. Are they rare? I'd have to say that I've been looking for the Game cock bottle since 1970 and have only seen those two that I posted and they were already gobbled up by another collector. In fact the seller found his in the Canal Zone too. The Dog bottle as us collectors of bottles found in Panama call it, contained wine. The green version of the Dog contained gin. And the Gamecock bottle also had wine in it.

willong

Reaction score
Well, I dug two when I was in the Canal Zone. But both were broken when they shipped my hold baggage home. Thankfully the three dog bottles made it without much damage. In fact the one is still in perfect condition. Are they rare? I'd have to say that I've been looking for the Game cock bottle since 1970 and have only seen those two that I posted and they were already gobbled up by another collector. In fact the seller found his in the Canal Zone too. The Dog bottle as us collectors of bottles found in Panama call it, contained wine. The green version of the Dog contained gin. And the Gamecock bottle also had wine in it.
I remember reading in bottle collecting books still published in the early 1970's that the Panama Canal Zone had some great dumps. It stands to reason given the long time span of the endeavor, the numbers of workers present and the varied nationalities of the participants that the dumps there would contain some gems. Your posting is the first time I have seen an example from one of the actual participants who dug those sites. It confirms what I read--thanks for posting.

Old man digger

Reaction score
I also decided to post photos of one of the bottles I like to save. This is my personal preference to collect. I like what the producers of this group of medical cures got away with until the FDA put them out of business. These are " QUACK " (aka) SNAKE OIL MEDICINES. This one bottle makes me want to YAK just looking at it. I also have an advertising card with a lady in Victorian Clothing claiming it cured all her ills.
P9100024.JPG
P9100026.JPG
P9100025.JPG

bottlebelzer

Reaction score
I know both the J.J.W. Peters Dog bottle and Sociedad Vinicola Rooster on a Bicycle bottle well. Have a dozen or so Dog bottles and three Rooster on a Bicycle bottles. The oval Dog bottle contained bitters while the case gin Dog bottle contained gin. Assume that the Rooster on a Bicycle bottle also contained bitters. The Dog bottles were and are found at the French construction town sites at the Panama Canal - 1870 to 1890. The Rooster on a Bicylce almost exclusively came out of the town Bocas Del Toro up by the Costa Rica border. I attached a Dog bottle pamphlet to this message. Reach out to me. I know these bottles well.

Attachments

• JJW Peters Pamphlet.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 141

bottlebelzer

Reaction score
Attached is another pamphlet on the J.J.W. Peters Dog bottle and the Sociedad Vinicola Rooster on a Bicycle bottle. It is from the book Worldwide Bottles, which two Panama Canal bottle collectors compiled from their collections.

Attachments

• Worldwide Bottles Lawrence & Teale.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 166

bottlebelzer

Reaction score
Hi Old man digger: I know these bottles well. Reach out to me and I will give you more info. See the attached two pamphlets that I have in my file.

Attachments

• JJW Peters Pamphlet.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 140
  • Worldwide Bottles Lawrence & Teale.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 168

Old man digger

Reaction score
Hi Old man digger: I know these bottles well. Reach out to me and I will give you more info. See the attached two pamphlets that I have in my file.
Hi, thank you for the info. I have one of each type number 1 and number 2. Are you interested in cutting one of the Roosters loose?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi