Hi, from Shermans Dale Pa.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Old man digger

Reaction score
Hey Dave, agreed on the variety of colors. It seems that they had no quality control and just mixed up whatever they felt like when they were blowing a bunch of bottles. See the photo of my red rooster. I am a buyer of a dog in this color.

Separately, if you found dogs and man gins with the English glass, they most likely are from the French construction days. There were a few periods with different glass in Panama but nobody to my knowledge documented which bottles came from the different periods. The pictorals like the dog and man gin were from the French period. Then there was the earlier gold rush 49er period. The glass then was older - free blowns, crude three piece molds, ect. Separately, there were European plantations like in Bocas where there also were the same glass that found its way to the French town sites. I have some nice pieces that came out of a plantation dump from Belize including beautiful free blown case gins in slendid condition since they came out of a mud bank in a river and were well preserved. I also have a crude Melchers man gin from this site.

Regarding the zoo in Gamboa, that was not were we dug. It was right next to the Canal across from Gamboa. The town of Gorgona was on a hill, which is the remnant there. We knew it as Gorgona Island. It is right across from Gamboa in the Canal. A big time French dump where a lot of nice glass came out.
Just for the fun of it, I took a back lighted photo of one of the three Dog bottles I have. Hope you don't have this color!!! Dave
back lite dog bottle.JPG

Old man digger

Reaction score
So what kind of price value do these Rooster Riding a Bicycle bottles have?
That is a very good question. There was one on eBay selling for $650. It sat and sat and the price dropped to $350. Then it went away. I guess the Rooster/Gamecock got it on a downhill run. It was not the quality that I personally would pay even the $350. for as it had some problems. IMHO
$350. would have been a fare price for an excellent condition bottle.

robin wells

Reaction score
That is a very good question. There was one on eBay selling for $650. It sat and sat and the price dropped to $350. Then it went away. I guess the Rooster/Gamecock got it on a downhill run. It was not the quality that I personally would pay even the $350. for as it had some problems. IMHO
$350. would have been a fare price for an excellent condition bottle.
Thank you so much for your reply!!

Schist

Reaction score
Sherman's Dale...that brings back some memories. My Mom used to live near Ickesburg and I would sometimes drive through Sterrett's Gap and Sherman's Dale on my way from the south to visit her. Beautiful country, especially on that winding road that follows Sherman Creek. Haven't been back there in 25 years...

Old man digger

Reaction score
Sherman's Dale...that brings back some memories. My Mom used to live near Ickesburg and I would sometimes drive through Sterrett's Gap and Sherman's Dale on my way from the south to visit her. Beautiful country, especially on that winding road that follows Sherman Creek. Haven't been back there in 25 years...
Don't know if you are familiar with Dellville Dam Rd. That is where I live. The hurricane that hit in 1972 took out the dam that was on Shermans Creek, so the name stayed but the Dam didn't!!!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18