Hi! Need info about a beautiful inkwell

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Corrine

Reaction score
Hi!
I found this for sale and it looks unusual to me, but I’m a novice so what do I know haha. It’s a beautiful teal color; these are the only pictures seller posted of it but I can request more if needed!
Specifically,
Timeframe?
Age?
Rarity?
Appropriate reasonable price
Etc.
Anything anyone can tell me about this would be truly appreciated!!
Thank you ❤️

Corrine

Attachments

• 0E3E58DD-A89D-4F3D-90DA-CF651F89AB3A.png
    0E3E58DD-A89D-4F3D-90DA-CF651F89AB3A.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 58C943B4-9C19-481E-822B-16C9773F7B63.png
    58C943B4-9C19-481E-822B-16C9773F7B63.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 121

Corrine

Reaction score
Hi. I'd say English, 10 years either side of 1900, nice color, fairly common, not as collictible in the U.S. due to foreign origin. Personally, I'd say value nothing more that $10. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice bottle, just not particularly valuable.

Awesome, I truly appreciate your response. I suspected that foreign bottles aren’t as collectible as US ones, but I had no idea if I was thinking that correctly. Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I love how you answered my questions and added extra helpful information too; this is the information I need to get to get better at this.
Thank you!
Peace and love,
Corrine

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Nice sheared lip, pen-rest, ink. I love this design, and have seen English mudlarks & bottle diggers find them regularly. Glasshouses churned these out in quantity (even the sheared lip was a step-saver, no tooling req'd). So there are lots out there.

Corrine

Reaction score
Nice sheared lip, pen-rest, ink. I love this design, and have seen English mudlarks & bottle diggers find them regularly. Glasshouses churned these out in quantity (even the sheared lip was a step-saver, no tooling req'd). So there are lots out there.

Yes! The sheared lip was the first thing I saw in immediately drew me in. I like how sheared lips aren’t perfectly made. And then the design of this is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!
One more question if you know, I’ve seen a lot of bottles and things like this for sale from sellers in the UK, etc., and I’m wondering if items like this are sometimes found here in the US for whatever reason? In your experience, have you come across any of these bottles that have been dug up/found in the US or are they pretty much only found in their country of origin?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Generally bottles are most collectible in their country of origin. Here in Canada the US bottles are typically not that collectible, and I imagine the inverse is the same. UK bottles like that do show up in the US from time to time based on what I've seen on here but they aren't that common. If you ever come up to Canada though, UK bottles are quite common finds here. I found a burst top ink like that on a beach out west several years back, only mine was an octagon. In some older dumps up here you can find 25-50% of bottles end up being of British origin, particularly in more rural areas for some reason.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Every indication is that we imported a LOT of English ink back in the day. So the English sheared lip bottles show up quite often. If they're a really different color, blue hues and green hues and the swirly ones come to mind, they are worth more. Otherwise, $10 really is about a fair price for one.

Jim G

Corrine

Reaction score
OK, that makes more sense now. I’m finding many of them for sale for some reason, thanks for the info. That really helped me!

Palani

Reaction score
I want to say English?

dab46

Reaction score
sheared top inks, lots of them were shipped over here 30+ years ago so they are common. Look on the base lots of them embossed London on base.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora