Hires “medals and medallions”

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
I was researching something else when I came upon the following. I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Before continuing I should point out that the exact date(s) of this particular Owens Illinois catalog was the topic of controversary a few years ago. I was involved in the discussion, and the best we could come up with was that the catalog probably dates between about 1933 and 1935 - and possibly as late as 1937. The problem with properly dating the catalog centered on the fact that catalogs of this type had pages that could be removed or inserted at the discretion of whoever was responsible for updating an maintaining the catalogs. In other words, these particular pages could have been inserted anytime between about 1933 and 1937. The one thing we know for certain is that the catalog is no earlier than 1929 because that is when the the Owens Illinois Glass Company was established. Of course, because my bottle does not have an Owens Illinois mark on the base, it's possible that some other glass manufacturer made my bottle. All I'm saying is, based on this particular catalog, Owens Illinois definitely listed my 6 1/2 Oz bottle sometime during the 1930s - which I hope will give us some additional perspective as to when this particular bottle was made and distributed. Especially notice that it is listed as a "Licensed Patented Soda" - The mold number G-918 might also serve as a clue for future research.

Hires Medals Bottle Licensed Patented 1933-35 Owens Illinois Catalog.jpg

Hires Medals Bottle Licensed Patented 1933-35 Owens Illinois Catalog Cropped Info.jpg

Hires Medals Bottle Licensed Patented 1933-35 Owens Illinois Catalog Cropped Bottle.jpg

Csa

Reaction score
Awesome. Tried looking for info on the sBw mark a bit might be Saltsburg, but there's no real indication they had any triangle mark like that. Gonna post some 50s 60s mid-century deco bottles I got yesterday which I would love your input on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky