Historical Meeting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

idigjars

Reaction score
Hello All.

My Grandson and I dug a ladies yard awhile back here in Niles Michigan and she asked us if we would be interested in giving a presentation at the local historical society meeting and of course we agreed.

Last night was the night for the meeting and it went pretty well.

The lady said that normally a dozen or less people usually show up for this meeting. Last night there were 47 people attending which I thought was pretty cool.

We took examples of different bottles, some local embossed medicines, doll heads, bone tooth brushes, jars of marbles, stoneware, and a board that had a dozen or so different type clay pipes mounted on it. (People really liked the clay pipes).

They also liked the piece of stoneware that we dug awhile back that had the beautiful ladies head sketched on it (privy art post on here – and also told of Redginger’s(Lauren) fictional story about it).

We also had lots of pictures from past digs, some blown up to 8†X 10â€, local architect town maps, and Platt maps from 1860, 1862, and 1889.

I mentioned that we do this as a hobby. Just like folks have hobbies such as fishing, hunting, or playing pool. We also like those hobbies but we especially like to dig for bottles and collect them.

We explained the process of digging these old outhouses up and how we can dig the bottles out of the old outhouse area guaranteeing no mess and that we split whatever we find with the homeowners. We took questions at the end of the meeting and there was a lot of interest in what we do as a hobby.

Western Michigan University is conducting an archaeological dig of an old Fort in our area and the Professor and 24 of his students showed up for our presentation. I wasn’t sure how receptive they were going to be of what we do but it was cool. In fact most of the questions came from this group of folks. They also invited us to come to their dig and see what they are doing.

It was a fun night and I think educational as well for all of us. I was especially proud of my 13 year old Grandson for standing up in front of this crowd and speaking to them. I’m not sure I could have done that when I was 13 years old.

Oh yeah, we also got another permission to dig out of it. Best regards to all. Paul

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
The end of the story is the best part[;)] When I was taking an archaeology class I was afraid to ask my professor about bottle digging, thinking he would consider it 'looting'. I'm still curious about what he thinks of it...

woodswalker

Reaction score
Sounds like it was a success!! Glad so many people turned up...I wish I had come but forgot all about it...been so busy lately.
Have fun on your next dig and what you learn from the WMU group doing the historical dig on the fort!!! That I think would be so amazing to see!!
And I'm glad that Alex likes the hobby and got up there and spoke in front of all those people.....I wish more kids would actually get hobbies instead of becoming video game zombies!!!!
Have a great week Paul!
Manda

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hi Paul,....That's pretty cool that all those people showed up to hear and see your presentation.....The archeology group coming is interesting too, Give your grandson an "atta boy" for me, and keep up the good work. I need to tell Lauren that your privy art and her story were part of the topic!
m6.gif

RedGinger

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I could have attended your presentation. Thanks for including my story! I'm honored!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Western Michigan University is conducting an archaeological dig of an old Fort in our area and the Professor and 24 of his students showed up for our presentation. I wasn’t sure how receptive they were going to be of what we do but it was cool. In fact most of the questions came from this group of folks. They also invited us to come to their dig and see what they are doing.

Hey Paul,

This is fantastic! I bet they all learned a thing or two. Great public relations for the hobby. Thank you, sir.

tumblr_kvxv5rqVQE1qzegddo1_400.jpg

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Man, you have to give Alex an attaboy for that. Sounds like all went well, but I'm sure your passion for collecting helped sell the talk. Lst Alex know his Woodbury is almost done being cleaned, just needs some finishing touches.
Bill

idigjars

Reaction score
Thank you all for the nice replies. Thank you Bill, I will let Alex know. He is going to love that jar especially since he dug it. Find me a band, lid, and mini lid for it. [:)]

I gave Alex a cleaned OP Shaker fluid and a cleaned Warners Safe for his collection after the meeting.

Best regards to all. Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac