Homestead advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Planning on a hike to a location that was a 1800's homestead. It's way out there and overgrown, but I believe there is still some foundation left and rusty farm equipment.

If I find it, other than looking at creeks and hills, and locating the outhouse, where else should I be looking? What should I be looking for in particular?

I think there may still be some worthwhile stuff out there, as it was never on any maps, and the closest house today is miles away.

Fingers crossed.

RCO

Reaction score
Planning on a hike to a location that was a 1800's homestead. It's way out there and overgrown, but I believe there is still some foundation left and rusty farm equipment.

If I find it, other than looking at creeks and hills, and locating the outhouse, where else should I be looking? What should I be looking for in particular?

I think there may still be some worthwhile stuff out there, as it was never on any maps, and the closest house today is miles away.

Fingers crossed.

never really had good luck at spots like that myself , if you can find the site which seems possible its still a long way before any bottles are likely to be recovered unless there is an obvious dump visible which sometimes occurs , you'll see rusted cans and broken stuff

also likely take more than 1 visit to site before anything much is found

Newtothiss

Reaction score
True!

I DID find it! But it's huge! And all that remains is a tiny piece of foundation. Found lots of broken glass and at least 2 separate dump sites, both with rusted frames of some sort of trucks/equipment.

Im happy I was able to at least lock down the location (no easy task), but it's overwhelming and soooo overgrown.

Bear scat, cougar scat, deer antlers and bones, this will be a fun one..
20220824_113010.jpg
20220824_113354.jpg
20220824_114519.jpg

Reactions: Roy

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Please, What is that in pic #1? Maybe part of the foundation? My experience with old homesteads (slightly limited) the dumps were v. close. Any drop off, ravine, or even the distance one could throw a bottle. If you have a stream/river nearby it could be a spot for the outhouse. Keep us posted and be safe out there. Good luck on your adventure! :cool:

Last edited:

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Pic 1 is the scrap of foundation that remains.

One dump site is within 10 feet of it in one direction (spanning a 20+? ft radius). The other one (site 2) that I found (there could be more?) is on the opposite side of the house (i assume).

Site 2 looks probably to be much more productive. It's balls deep in the brush and has multiple vehicles/equipment in it. (Lots of seagrams and wine near the surface)

Site one is not too difficult to access, and has remnants of a path. Site 2, I found on accident and is a real bitch.

The location is on a hilltop, with multiple streams nearby.

One thing that bugged and worried me today, I couldn't find a well!

I was waiting to just fall to my death all morning, as I worked my way through brush crazy thick and taller than I....

Oh, and FUCK stinging nettles!!

There is a Laurel that stands 50+ ft tall, and stretches God knows how many feet in every direction!

It's a really cool property!

Newtothiss

Reaction score
There SHOULD be a well somewhere Right?!

I'm more worried about the well than I am the wildlife.

There are also a couple spots that are oddly free of growth.. Chicken coop? Outhouse? Something else?

I really wanna go back! I wish it wasn't so far.

Might have to spend a weekend there?

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
They probably used one of the streams for their H20. (Still, be careful where you step.) ..I was in Hell's Canyon once (your backyard) and went to use the Ranger(?) Station's outdoor can. It was just a hole in the dock's floor above the river. Hence, you might find after 100 years, the steams nearby are worth a walk through.

Needless to say, be selective in what you want to carry out. Too bad you couldn't zip line or drone carry some out. That day may come sooner for some in this situation but I'm only in the "I have an idea stage", myself. --Otherwise, a small machete is in order to slightly improve your path.

I have a Tulip tree near me that's about the same size. Had to cut some lower rotted limbs off last year, but yes, they're great. :cool:

..Take your time and be safe out there. :) ..Maybe a seasonal 3-4X/year trip... Chances are the originals buried something there with, metal, glass or something toxic to flora like oil. --Put a shovel into one next time out before you go home.

Last edited:

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I walked the streams.. just a billion frogs and one bass. No glass...

But we get so much rain that anything good could be MANY feet down. And I didn't have a big boy shovel with me today..

Still thinking there very well could be a well just laying in wait..

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
How long do U think the originals were there? If relatively short time, like less than 2 years-- I'm guessing no well. Probably rain barrels.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora