Horse's foot base

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

windwahine

Reaction score
Found this piece of sea glass. Looks like the base of some kind of bottle. You can clearly see a horseshoe. My friend who owns horses says it's the bottom of a horse's foot. Has anyone seen a bottle with the base etched in a horseshoe design?
Thanks for any leads.

Attachments

• 20200223_093544.jpg
    20200223_093544.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 194

windwahine

Reaction score
Wow, stumped you guys? Best I can tell is most bottles don't even have pictures engraved on their base, so that makes it even more unusual, no?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's probably from a soda bottle from a company local to you. There were thousands upon thousands of different soda companies out there so very hard to guess without a name.

windwahine

Reaction score
Thanks for the lead. As a result I was able to find a picture of an antique jelly jar with the following info that I thought I'd share:

Vintage from the 19th century
Material
Glass
• Horseshoe with Hoof
• Grinder Catch or Jelly Jar
• Crystal, Clear
• Antique Early American Pattern Glass (EAPG) c. 1890
• Measurements: 3 5/8" high and 3 1/8" rim diameter
• Weight, prepackaged: 7 oz

• Condition: The glass is free of chips and cracks. The inner rim has a some tiny fleabites. The outer rim and base are free of fleabites. There are some slight scratches from use or storage none easily seen or distracting. The interior has very light spotting consistent with catch jars that have been used. The foot has shelf wear as expected. The glass has a nice green glow under UV light.

• Detailed Description:
This listing is for an Antique, Horseshoe with Hoof Grinder Catch or Jelly Jar. Horseshoe Jars, also known as Good Luck, were included with coffee mills as catch jars or filled with jelly, sweetmeats or other goods and reused as tumbler glasses. The most common design was produced by Ball, Hazel Atlas and Indiana featuring a horseshoe with a star and were produced from circa 1900 into the 1930's. The Horseshoe with Hoof design is earlier and rarer featuring a Horseshoe with a cloven hoof between. It's most often found with coffee mills. Some claim it was produced by Greentown or Iowa City Glass, but to my knowledge no definite attribution has been made. It's a great piece of Early American Pattern Glass (EAPG) and perfect on it's own or to complete a grinder.

Attachments

• il_1588xN.1805810353_j79j.jpg
    il_1588xN.1805810353_j79j.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 159

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora