how can you locate a privy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hokeypix

Reaction score
I just found this site and am having a great time reading the posts. I'm in upstate NY and there are tons of old houses around here. I may be able to ask some locals if I can dig in their yards - but here's the question: how can I figure out where the privy was? Is there a general rule of thumb? i.e. out the kitchen door, etc? Any signs to look for? Thanks!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi hokeypix, and welcome to the forum! Where are you from in NY? I grew up in Pine Bush, NY. I already posted a reply to your question about the Erts bottle[8D]. My father found mine about 35 years ago on a construction site in Poughkeepsie itself. Stick around, this is the best bottle site on Earth!![:D] Opps! just do a search up top on Privy Digging and you'll have access to the many, many conversations we've all had about it. Normally I'd just tell you to follow your nose[:D]

diginit

Reaction score
Howdy Hokeypics,
Give it up.There's never a privy in the woods when you need one! JUST KIDDING. Horistical maps are a good place to start. They are available on this site if you look around. Otherwise Look for abnormal depressions or mounds in the earth and probe. Just make sure it's not a 3x6 burial plot as this is the size of most two seaters. Best of luck From California!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
HokeypiXs, sorry about the 'c' before.[&:] After utilizing the 'search' tab on the forum home page, you can also do a google search on privy digging, you'll be amazed and entertained by what you find. One of my favorites is the stories and the pictures you can find about actual digs.

flasherr

Reaction score
I was wondering has anyone dug anything besides a privy by mistake? I read a thread where someone found a skull in a pit. Also I read where someone was digging a pit in a rough area and the owner requested that the whole be left open. Just makes you think what a great place to hide something or someone. I doubt someone was sitting there 120yrs ago thinking hmmmm wonder if someone will dig this up someday. makes you wonder what they will be digging in 120 yrs if I knew I would fix up a good stash for them lol.
Brian

Rrey199

Reaction score
Where are you guys from? I'm in NY as well. I'm 5 minutes from Poughkeepsie, near Highland. I'm amazed how many sites there are around this area. When I find one, I mark it on a map. There are at least a dozen I have been wanting to get back to.

Rrey199

Reaction score
By the way Flash, I found a human femur the other day. That's a leg bone, in case your not familiar. Very freaky. Turns out there's an old cemetary just across the field I was walking. Guess they didn't bury 'em too deep back then.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi