How common are ball jars?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlehunt!

Reaction score
I’m wondering because I don’t have that many yet. Will it just be a matter of time?

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
I’m wondering because I don’t have that many yet. Will it just be a matter of time?
There are probably several thousand variants and millions of ball jars' They come in shades of blue, green and clear, with both screw caps and glass tops. I once saw a collection of them an it was huge!

Reaction score
You will definitely find em if you keep digging, I’ve found probably 50 of them In various aged dumps. Good luck!

TrashPanda

Reaction score
I found most of mind just laying under old homes in piles. I probably have kept 30 of the best ones and gave away the rest.

coreya

Reaction score
Here are some interesting historys to give you an idea of how many canning jars have been made.

ball jar history

There were several fires at the plants in the late 1800's where after the fires were out there was melted glass many feet high and hundreds of yards long from where jars were stored!
Collections are a sickness which must be fed and canning jars are an easy (used to be inexpensive) interesting historical thing to collect. Be for warned that they are addictive! this is just one of my display cases (there are 6) along with about 3 shelves and 2 or 3 cabinets.:D:D:D

collection (2-1).jpg

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
The only bad thing about digging those Ball jars is when they still have yucky food in them and you have to clean them out. I once broke one with my shovel and it stunk so bad I had to leave and come back and finish the next day!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264