How deep to dig,-or when to give up?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AvoidingWork

Reaction score
Hello all. I had my harddrive wipe -out so i couldn't remember my info to log on to this site--therefore i am a new participant again. ANYWAY--as i had written a while ago-i have two sites to dig. The first is the homestead from which we are taking a log house, at which my son found a pontiled aqua merchant's lockport bottle. When time permitts, i will dig the ravine there as well as some depressions in the yard. The second site is where the house is going--my lot which is next to my current 1900 era house. Its full of stuff--glass, metal cans, old forged things, all in a foundation from much earlier. MY problem--we will be getting the excavators in to do the new foundation in June so i'm under the gun to dig out all th cool stuff. How deep should i go?? How far outside the old foundation hole should i explore? How do you deal with all the tangled root systems of old lilacs etc? uh--and we also found two old unfired howtzer shells, and a..well, gravestone from1862. So far no body. And a 1Rheal silver spanish colonial coin, 1815, Ferdin VII Help!!!!! thanks--ml

Pontiled

Reaction score
Avoiding work (nice new name!), I'm curious about the shells. Do you really have any idea as to the age? A number of the Civil War vintage shells can look quite modern. Can you send us a picture? I might be able to help. As for digging, you don't have any time to waste! Dig until you are certain you've hit original soil. There should be a definite difference between fill material and original soil.

AvoidingWork

Reaction score
hi Mike

The shells are gone-had to report them to the Ontario Provincial Police, who in turn called the Department of Defence, who came out with their "Hot Box" bomb disposal truck. After i signed a release, they tucked them under their arm , said goodbye and left. All very exciting. Need to reassure the neighbours that we really are still good folks, despite all the police and military vehicles!

Also-found a marble gravestone from 1862. This could complicate my life.....ml

Pontiled

Reaction score
Well, I was just thinking about a few shells that went to the demolition team where they were supposed to be destroyed. Both were Civil War vintage and worth quite a bit at the time. One lady in Manassas, Virginia, is sitting with a cache of shells in her back yard (underground) from the Southern troops. I'm sure they are all paper-fused, so they could do no harm now. There are cylinders that are just a "live" today if they had Tice fuses. The Tice fuse was a fulminate of mercury fuse in a brass housing that had a striker. The brass fuse device is almost 100 percent still live since they actually sealed to the cylindrical iron case.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp