how did you get into this

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlehunt!

Reaction score
Well I’ve always kinda had a fascination with shiny glass and old stuff, but never really did any hunting til recently. We always would go hiking and I pick up cool rocks, or crockery shards, or what have you that caught my eye. Then a few months ago/last fall/whatever I went on a mushroom hunting hike with family, and we were like ooh-ahh-ing spotting all these different mushrooms and looking em up, then as we’re scanning the ground we start seeing this one big area way back in the woods with glass and metal and junk everywhere and we start poking around, finding old beer bottles and the aqua mason jars and zinc lids and stuff so I start grabbing things that made me like ooh check that out! Come here and Google, looking things up, and now I’m hooked! Can’t go on a hike without looking all around for more shiny things to pick up, lol. It’s awesome :D
Actually, that is pretty much what I do, but I found my first in a bottle dump right off a trail where I was metal detecting. Kallocrine for the skin and hair, a $322 bottle from a small pharmacy in Connecticut from the 1840s. I started to look for more but on the first day all I found was shards and a few modern beers. I then went to the place I found the kallocrine, and found a lot more and better things. I was, for some reason, especially excited about the milk glass, but it does look pretty cool even if I do have tons of them now.

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
Actually, that is pretty much what I do, but I found my first in a bottle dump right off a trail where I was metal detecting. Kallocrine for the skin and hair, a $322 bottle from a small pharmacy in Connecticut from the 1840s. I started to look for more but on the first day all I found was shards and a few modern beers. I then went to the place I found the kallocrine, and found a lot more and better things. I was, for some reason, especially excited about the milk glass, but it does look pretty cool even if I do have tons of them now.

That’s a great first find! Very lucky.
I feel ya on the milk glass, we just found our first couple of little face cream jars and I’d never seen such a thing before. Thought they were neat.

Torringtontg25

Reaction score
9-ish year old me was walking around a Peddler's Mall known for having a booth dedicated to bottles. I ended up seeing a *mint* 1960s Orange Crush bottle for like $7. I know it is common and I probably overpaid, but something about that amber, organ pipe speckled glass just looked so cool. I still have it, and it is one of the few non local bottles I refuse to get rid of. It is not at hand at the moment, otherwise I would include a picture.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
My story is much simpler. I was taking a hike in the woods. I am extremely allergic to poison ivy. Every year as a kid for as long as i can remember i was covered with the rash over 90% of my body. I mean it was everwhere! So i have learned to stay on the trails. On one occasion i had to water the bushes...LOL! I went only 10 feet off the trail and sticking out of the ground was this odd bottle. I finished and bent over to pull it out. I never saw anything like it. It was a nu-grape double bubble 1920 pat date and was embossed " NOT GRAPE JUICE". I went back to find more and the rest is history. I cover up good and shower as soon as i get home. All my clothes including my sneakers go into the wash before i clean up. I still worry but i can't stop. Too much fun. Way better than gambling and much more exciting...at least for me. I still have the bottle. That was over 20 years ago.
Lol.....You made it sound like you peed on the bottle you found!, maybe it loosened the ground around it...lol...Great story anyway. My story is a little different and will post it here separately a little later.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Lol.....You made it sound like you peed on the bottle you found!, maybe it loosened the ground around it...lol...Great story anyway. My story is a little different and will post it here separately a little later.
Almost!

mytauntaunsbeat

Reaction score
My dad used to find bottles while hunting in the 70s and 80s, so he would keep them. When i was in my early teens i started getting into metal detecting, my dad told me about the bottles and took me out places to look for them. I was hooked. My dad gave me his collection a few years ago including some he got from my great grandfather in England. Ive probably bought more than ive dug at this point but in recent years have got the itch to dig again so im researching spots. Finding this forum has really re-ignited my passion for bottles so keep up the good work!

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
My dad used to find bottles while hunting in the 70s and 80s, so he would keep them. When i was in my early teens i started getting into metal detecting, my dad told me about the bottles and took me out places to look for them. I was hooked. My dad gave me his collection a few years ago including some he got from my great grandfather in England. Ive probably bought more than ive dug at this point but in recent years have got the itch to dig again so im researching spots. Finding this forum has really ignited my passion for bottles so keep up the good work!
I am sure i can speak for everyone on the sight when i say thank-you for your kind words. It's hard to call it work, when it is a passion. Glad we could help. ROBBYBOBBY64.

planeguy2

Reaction score
I was about 7 years old. There was a bad drought and the water leval on the lake near me had dropped like 5 feet. I was boating around and there was alot of old bottles including a Mrs.Winslows soothing syrup, on the muddy water leval line before the drought. I cept them and put them in my room. 5 years later I looked it up and found it to be from the 1870s. I had an interest ever since.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown