How do I clean bottle Sickness?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tom smith

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove bottle Sickness? I don't have the money for a tumbler right now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Tom smith

Merle

Reaction score
Before I got my tumbler I put a little vegetable oil on my hands and rubbed it in and worked it into the bottle. It looked good but collected the dust bad. I got tired of having to wash them off and redo so I had to make the jump to start cleaning my stuff

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Before I got my tumbler I put a little vegetable oil on my hands and rubbed it in and worked it into the bottle. It looked good but collected the dust bad. I got tired of having to wash them off and redo so I had to make the jump to start cleaning my stuff
Baby oil light coat doesn't last forever,if your selling it right thing to do is let the buyer know.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Get a pure copper scrubber and some tooth paste. Then when you have nothing else better to do, sit down and cover the bottle in the tooth paste and scrub the bottle for an hour. This will clear up the bottle of a noticeable percentage of its sickness though it may not be perfect it is the cheapest start. Just pretend it's a workout routine :D Just be sure you don't buy cheap copper-plated scrubbers, you need pure copper scrubbers like this:
cb_copper_scrubber_2_ct.jpg

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I'm sorry. What is bottle sickness?
The white cloudy stuff that you can't get off no matter how much you clean it. In order to remove it you have to have a tumbler which requires a long time tumbling in copper and a type of cleaner such as our keepers Friend and others. That's the short of it.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I'm sorry. What is bottle sickness?
It is etching in glass that can only be removed with mechanical polishing. When plant material in the ground decays it forms carbolic acid. Carbolic acid will etch glass. Once etched it can only be brought back with mechanical polishing. This type of polishing is referred to as Tumbling as the bottle is placed in a canister usually with chopped copper and a polishing compound and tumbled for several days.

KKRoadie

Reaction score
It is etching in glass that can only be removed with mechanical polishing. When plant material in the ground decays it forms carbolic acid. Carbolic acid will etch glass. Once etched it can only be brought back with mechanical polishing. This type of polishing is referred to as Tumbling as the bottle is placed in a canister usually with chopped copper and a polishing compound and tumbled for several days.
I have asked this before, but no one has given me a definitive answer. Why can a bottle be "tumbled" to bring it back to a "like new" polish yet if you clean, polish or try to improve the look of a collectible coin that item becomes effectively worthless. Why is it bottle collectors don't seem to mind the "tumbling" process? Can you tell the difference between a "museum quality" original mint condition bottle and one that is also perfect, but it got that way due to being tumbled? I am planning on setting up a tumbler soon, but I would like to hear an opinion o this first. Thanks Karl

Mailman1960

Reaction score
And now you know exactly what it is.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I have asked this before, but no one has given me a definitive answer. Why can a bottle be "tumbled" to bring it back to a "like new" polish yet if you clean, polish or try to improve the look of a collectible coin that item becomes effectively worthless. Why is it bottle collectors don't seem to mind the "tumbling" process? Can you tell the difference between a "museum quality" original mint condition bottle and one that is also perfect, but it got that way due to being tumbled? I am planning on setting up a tumbler soon, but I would like to hear an opinion o this first. Thanks Karl
Be prepared like a coin, there's two sides.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18