How do I get my insulator off?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
I got this insulator today and it was dug so the insulator is pretty much glued to the metal. Any idea on how to "unglue" it.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG-1092.jpg
    IMG-1092.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 151

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I think it looks cool as it is, but like nydigger said you need to get the rust off with a rust-removing solution. The reason the insulator is stuck is because the iron had rusted and expanded inside the base of the insulator. Only by removing that rust can you free it. CLR is a concentrated rust removing agent you can find in hardware stores. You need to fill a bucket with a solution of water and CLR in the proper ratio and dunk that whole metal thin under it for a few days.

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
I think it looks cool as it is, but like nydigger said you need to get the rust off with a rust-removing solution. The reason the insulator is stuck is because the iron had rusted and expanded inside the base of the insulator. Only by removing that rust can you free it. CLR is a concentrated rust removing agent you can find in hardware stores. You need to fill a bucket with a solution of water and CLR in the proper ratio and dunk that whole metal thin under it for a few days.
I think I like it as it is to! How should I display it?

Fenndango

Reaction score
It's probably cemented to the pin. Those are a pita because muriatic acid is the only thing that will take it off and it has to soak in it for a long time and muriatic acid has lots of really dangerous fumes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis