How do I get my insulator off?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dario

Reaction score
Muriatic answer is what we use in the insulator hobby. But it MUST be done CAREFULLY!!!! There are many things like fumes, burns, disposal, ventilation, etc. that need to be considered. And yes it does take time to "soak" it. Some people just cut it off at the base with a metal bladed Sawzall. And I agree, it is nice on its original pin.

Fenndango

Reaction score
I have to soak the giant top of an M-4425 at some point. My friend puts them in giant, thick plastic contractor bags, pours the muriatic acid on the cemented part and ties off the bag, which he leaves outside on a deck at his apartment in Chicago (lol).

But yeah muriatic acid is no joke I wear a ventilator, rubber gloves that cover my whole arms, goggles. Add acid to water not water to acid if you dilute it. And I forgot about disposal. Transfer Station will take it, or you can add a base until it's pH is neutral.

Personally I stay far away from the stuff.

Fenndango

Reaction score
And make sure no kids or animals are able to access it. That one scares me the most, some little kid exploring.

Brutalfly

Reaction score
I sprayed wd40 do one of mine and let it sit for a week or so and then was able to get it off of the metal by slowly maneuvering it.

Digger 57

Reaction score
I got this insulator today and it was dug so the insulator is pretty much glued to the metal. Any idea on how to "unglue" it.

Thanks in advance :)
Soak it in vinegar for a couple days. Vinegar will dissolve the rust will take a few days. Good luck

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown